birding-aus

Flesh-footed Shearwater?

Subject: Flesh-footed Shearwater?
From: Chris Corben <>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 22:13:31 -0500
It's a young Pacific Gull, Jason.

Good luck with your travels!

Cheers, Chris.

On 7/12/2018 10:02 PM, Jason Polak wrote:
Dear List,

First, I would like to say goodbye to Australia. My wife and I were
there for two years since I was on a contract there and in that time we
found around 295 birds. Australia started us on birding and it's
something we'll remember forever. Thank you to everyone on this list, as
I received so many suggestions and tips to enhance our birding. We are
in Canada now and so have some new territory to cover.

Now, I am still preparing a couple remaining checklists to send to
eBird. I was hoping we could get some help with a difficult ID:

http://jpolak.org/unknown/shearwater.jpg

We saw this bird at Point Addis (Victoria) on June 12, 2018 - just one
month ago. It briefly flew by the lookout point and then disappeared.
>From the black tip of the beak, it seems to be a flesh-footed
shearwater. Unfortunately, this is the only shot we could get.

I have pretty much zero experience with seabirds and the Flesh-footed
Shearwater is supposed to be rare. So, I am prepared to be corrected.

Thank you for your help.

Jason

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list