birding-aus

night parrot on brighton downs

To: Andrew Bell <>
Subject: night parrot on brighton downs
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 10:36:56 +0000
 "Someone whistling with his head down a toilet bowl”  (Birds of Australia’s
Top End).  That description enabled Keith Betton’s wife Esther to  locate
Black-tailed Treecreeper while they were driving.

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71
Darwin River, NT, Australia 0841
043 8650 835

PhD candidate, Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW.

Founding Member: Ecotourism Australia
Nominated by Earthfoot for Condé Nast’s International  Ecotourism Award, 2004.

With every introduction of a plant or animal that goes feral this continent
becomes a little less unique, a little less Australian.

On 17 May 2016, at 7:38 pm, Andrew Bell <> wrote:

> I agree entirely, this is a more than adequate description for any birder,
> without the risk of tempting playback - and it is often tempting (and not
> always inappropriate). I'll continue to listen out in spinifex country and I
> won't need a recording to know Ive heard a NP.
>
> Who could forget Graham Pizzey's description of the White-throated Gerygone's
> "silvery falling leaf of a song in a minor key..." Knew it the first time I
> heard it. An art of poetically describing songs that is worth preserving.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andrew
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On 17 May 2016, at 12:12 pm, Lawrie Conole <> wrote:
>>
>> As Graeme has suggested ... if you hear one, and you are vaguely attuned to
>> bird calls, you'll know.
>> I believe I've heard the NP in breakaway/spinifex country SE of Cloncurry
>> in NW Qld.  The call has stuck in my head these last few years, and it's
>> much as has been described.
>>
>> ... *Thanks to Young’s 2013 recordings, scientists knew that the night
>> parrots have a two-syllable call, a cadence described by Murphy as roughly:
>> “ding-ding.” But the parrot they tracked roosted with another bird that had
>> a three-syllable call: “ding de-ding.”* ...
>>
>>> * On 15 May 2016, at 12:18 PM, Graeme Chapman *
>>> * < <>>
>>> wrote:*
>>

>>> Make the sound available by all means. If you hear it you'll know anyway
>> - it sounds

>> <BR>
>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>> </HR>
>
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>