birding-aus

night parrot on brighton downs

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: night parrot on brighton downs
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 02:42:34 +0000
As Graeme has suggested ... if you hear one, and you are vaguely attuned to
bird calls, you'll know.
I believe I've heard the NP in breakaway/spinifex country SE of Cloncurry
in NW Qld.  The call has stuck in my head these last few years, and it's
much as has been described.

... *Thanks to Young’s 2013 recordings, scientists knew that the night
parrots have a two-syllable call, a cadence described by Murphy as roughly:
“ding-ding.” But the parrot they tracked roosted with another bird that had
a three-syllable call: “ding de-ding.”* ...

>* On 15 May 2016, at 12:18 PM, Graeme Chapman *
>* < <>> wrote:*

> Make the sound available by all means. If you hear it you'll know anyway
- it sounds

<BR>