birding-aus

night parrot on brighton downs

To: Ben Lawson <>
Subject: night parrot on brighton downs
From: Chris Charles <>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 02:30:35 +0000
> it would seem that personalities and petty politics have
> intervened to the species detriment.

On what basis do you say this Ben? What detriment has or will occur?
Like all of life's issues there are experts that disagree & there is no right
or wrong answer but an optimal balance of consequences & frequencies.

Chris Charles
www.licole.com.au
Sent from my iPhone

> On 14 May 2016, at 8:40 PM, Ben Lawson <> wrote:
>
> Hello all
>
> Prior to today I had significant concerns with the level of information -
> direct or easily implied - that had been revealed about the ecology and
> geography of the night parrot location given the stated desire to keep the
> location secret. I believed it was possible to track down the location from
> that info.
>
> I am therefore gobsmacked at the suggestion that the location of the 460
> 000 hectare property can disclosed, but the location of the 50 000
> hectare reserve on that property can remain secret. While 460 000 hectares
> might seem a lot (and undoubtedly it would be to search on foot) the
> reality is there is an abundance of freely available digital information to
> identify the exact locality. I will not spell out how - so please don't ask
> - but the time required would be measured in hours not weeks or years.
>
> While I have no doubt all concerned genuinely want this species to survive
> and thrive it would seem that personalities and petty politics have
> intervened to the species detriment. I find this very sad and
> very unfortunate.
>
> I would think the last thing you'd want to do now is widely and
> freely distribute the call given we know where it is and apparently the
> species readily responds to it. If the call is to be released I would think
> it should only go to small trusted groups of experienced birders with clear
> plans to assess similar habitat across its former range, near and far.
>
> The only upside in all of this situation is now that we pretty much know
> the location there may be opportunities to harness the power of citizen
> science to identify similar landscapes/habitat across its former range,
> either to survey for unknown populations or identify areas where insurance
> populations of this species might be established in future. This may be one
> of the very few benefits of this disclosure.
>
> While it may seem trite, please everyone think of the night parrot not
> yourselves. Most of us may never get to see it in our lifetime but if we
> are responsible now hopefully our children or grandchildren might be able
> to.
>
> Regards, Ben
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list