birding-aus

RFI - Song Thrush records

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RFI - Song Thrush records
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 05:08:59 +0000
Hello birders

Following on from the recent inconclusive chat about the decline or demise
of Birding-Aus, let's put it to the test - how useful is the old list for
things other than twitching headlines!!?? :-)

I'm in the process of analysing non-urban records of the introduced Song
Thrush (*Turdus philomelos*) from Victoria, with a view to publishing the
results later this year. There aren't a lot of records in the various
databases (I know I'm guilty of not logging a couple of my exurban records
of this species). I'm interested to hear about any confirmed records of
Song Thrushes, which are to the best of your knowledge not logged in a
database (BirdLife atlas, eBird, Atylas of Living Australia, etc.), and
which are from areas either on the fringe of Melbourne or Geelong or in
rural or natural areas.

Despite what the field guides, etc. say, the Song Thrush is not restricted
to Geelong and Melbourne. There are very old records resulting from
deliberate releases in places like Ballarat and Hamilton - where the birds
are probably now locally extinct. Leaving aside the odd confusion with
Bassian Thrush (*Zoothera lunulata*), there are a few dozen records from
the Otway Ranges (SW Victoria) and out on to the Gippsland Plain (E
Victoria). Tell me your exurban Song Thrush stories.

Mail me off-list at  & I'll summarise the records in print
later in 2016.

thanks in advance

Lawrie

--