birding-aus

Tasmanian Fox Hoax or Fraud

To: "" <>
Subject: Tasmanian Fox Hoax or Fraud
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 04:14:28 +0000
Martin Butterfield asked me privately about general availability of
the papers, some are behind paywalls with only abstracts.
As others might be interested I've listed them below.

The "review" group (Marks et al) have most of their papers here:
http://www.tasmanianfox.com/Tasmanian_Fox/Publications.html

The focus of much of their criticism was this 2012  paper from Sarre et
al, suggesting foxes were widespread in Tasmania:
http://www.abc.net.au/cm/lb/5426244/data/journal-of-applied-ecology-2012-e2809cfoxes-are-now-widespre-data.pdf

More recent papers from Sarre et al.  responding/relevant to
criticism of their work:
http://tasmaniantimes.com/images/uploads/2014_Sarre_etal_DefiningSpecificityInDNADetectionOfWildlife_ForSciIntGenet_(1).pdf
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1365-2664.12407/abstract
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1365-2664.12506/abstract

This is also worth a read:
https://australianmammals.org.au/articles/2014/10/18/foxes_in_tasmania__update

FWIW it loooks to me if Marks et al (the review group)  were incorrect
in at least some of their  criticisms.   But given the absence of 2011
fox observations its (thankfully) looking like Sarre et al. were also
incorrect in suggesting foxes were widespread in 2012.

Andrew

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>