birding-aus

Tasmanian Fox Hoax or Fraud

To: Andrew Hobbs <>
Subject: Tasmanian Fox Hoax or Fraud
From: Ian May <>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 02:00:06 +0000
Yes,  Everyone should be happy, it now appears there are no foxes in
Tasmania and possibly (probably) never were.  And yes we would all agree
there should always be adequate monitoring for feral animal
introductions in Tasmania.  But this recent Tasmanian fox eradication
issue went way beyond any of that.  Fabricated evidence and the
possibility of criminality behind the fox evidence claims is the main
point of issue and many believe this mess needs to be cleared up before
any federal grants are awarded for feral cat control.

Amongst other problems, there have been various so called "independent"
studies and reports prepared for the Tas Govt. where the results appear
to have been skewed and where high value contracts were awarded to the
authors of these reports.  In other words, the authors and their
organisations were direct financial beneficiaries of their own reviews
and recommendations.  How independent is that?   There were reports that
stated there was a population of 50+ foxes roaming the bush in Tas. A
responsible government has no choice to act in the face of that type of
conclusion but It appears that much of the ongoing evidence for such
conclusions is now not available for independent evaluation.  For
example, why would there now not be a complete set of DNA samples stored
in a bank available for further analysis

To restore any semblance of public credibility to the environmental
scientific community, among other things. the direct beneficiaries for
more than 45 million dollars of taxpayer funding needs to be clearly
identified and the use of those funds publicly accounted for.  The
methods and procedures used for assessing and handling scientific
evidence need to be measured and compared to acceptable standards .

Please note that this is my reply only in response to Andrew's note
above however I am not a spokesperson for any of this, I just hope that
I can report to the group on current happenings that should concern any
environmental observer who worries about public credibility and its
importance to achieving successful environmental outcomes.

regards

Ian May
St Helens, Tasmania

<HR>