birding-aus

Night Parrot captured and videoed

To: Charles Hunter <>
Subject: Night Parrot captured and videoed
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 23:58:48 +0000
G'day All

Charles asked "Sean, do radio transmitters naturally fall off? I
understand from the 7.30 Report last night (10.08.2015) that the
small battery lasts 21 days.

> Keen to know if the birds (perhaps inconveniently) "hop" around
> with a wire for several months.

If the transmitter is attached using a harness, the harness remains
for months or years, possibly interfering with behaviour and moult.

If the transmitter is super-glued then it falls of in 2-4 weeks and
the bird is freed of any encumbrance.  When I used them on swifts I
only ever super-glued them - which is why my data ran out after 2
weeks each time.

Cheers

Mike
Michael Tarburton