birding-aus

Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update
Date: 29 Sep 2014 07:01:23 +1000
   Birdline New South Wales

   Published sightings for the week ending 28 Sep 2014.

   Sun 28 Sep Square-tailed Kite Chiltern Trail, Ingleside
   The lack of birds along the the track during early afternoon more than
   made up by a Square-tailed Kite making several low passes over the
   track-head at Chiltern Road.
   Robert Griffin et al
   Australian Koel Glebe Point Road, near Glebe Public School
   Male Australian Koel was harassed by a Noisy Miner and chased along
   Glebe Point Road in front of our car.
   Simon Gorta
   Musk Duck, Great Crested Grebe, Whiskered Tern, Possible Blue-billed
   Duck? Lake Wallace, Wallerawang
   At least 6 Whiskered Tern in breeding plumage fishing over the lake.
   Counted at least 40 each of Musk Duck and Gt Crested Grebe. Hundreds,
   if not thousands, of Eurasian Coot on the water. Party of approx 20
   Hoary-headed Grebe in the middle of the lake. 2 very small dark brown
   ducks asleep in the NE corner of the lake well beyond the barrage with
   heads tucked away, so could not see bills. Birds had a "domed"
   appearance in the water and I could not see any white towards rump - so
   may be Blue-billed Duck? (Would need to get much closer for a
   definitive view to be certain but worth checking out.)
   Tom Wilson
   Australasian Bittern Hexham Swamp
   Single heard booming all night long during a spotlighting foray. No
   Grass Owls.
   Joshua Bergmark, Nathan Ruser, Simon Gorta
   Black-faced Monarch, Sacred Kingfisher Bradley's Head (Sydney Harbour
   NP)
   A single Black-faced Monarch heard calling near Athol Hall this morning
   was a welcome surprise. Two calling Sacred Kingfishers were also my
   first of the season. A possible Scarlet Honeyeater was also heard (two
   note contact call) in this patch that is overflowing with small birds.
   Ashwin Rudder
   Sat 27 Sep Rock Warbler, Musk Duck Wollemi National Park--Dunns Swamp
   Rock Warbler seen twice heading into rock cavity with food items -
   nesting? Pair of Musk Duck on a northern arm of the lake away from the
   kayak activity. Male bird was being very aggressive to any Coots that
   got too close.
   Tom Wilson
   Spotted Harrier Cnr Castlereagh Hwy & Bylong Valley Way
   Single bird seen quartering over rough ground at the junction, then
   diving onto a prey item, settling briefly on an earth mound and setting
   off with string flight towards the east - possible prey item for mate
   or chicks?
   Tom Wilson
   Dollarbird Clarence Town
   A single Dollarbird perched on powerlines beside Clarence Town-Dungog
   Rd.
   Clive Meadows
   Black-faced Monarch, Leaden Flycatcher, Brush Cuckoo Dubbo Gully
   Mangrove Mountain
   On an outing for the Central Coast Bird Group we had 3 Black-faced
   Monarch and a pair of Leaden Flycatchers on our stop down the hill to
   the gully. We also had many Fan-tailed Cuckoos and Shining
   Bronze-Cuckoos with a Brush Cuckoo calling as well.
   Christina Port for Kay Pointer and the CCB group
   Buller's Shearwater Royal National Park--Wattamolla
   Seen my first Buller's Shearwater for the spring today also thousands
   of Short-tailed Shearwaters moving down the coast including an albino
   or fully leukistic individual. [Moderator's note (NH): This is a very
   an exceptionally early date for Buller's Shearwater]
   michael ronan.
   Bush Stone-curlew Barham
   Two Bush Stone-curlews observed in a grassy carpark near the centre of
   town, potentially attempting breeding at this site. Both birds were
   observed on the 26th and 27th, one of which was squatting in the same
   location when observed several times over the two days (sitting on
   eggs?). Have never seen this species so close to dense housing before
   in south-eastern Australia. Perhaps attracted to the good source of
   invertebrate prey around the street lights.
   Karl Just
   Mallard Western Plains Zoo, Dubbo
   A solitary male Mallard hanging out with some Pacific Black Ducks on
   the billabong camp lake. I have been a keeper at the zoo for 5 1/2
   year's now and this is the first Mallard I've seen.
   Andrew O'Brien
   Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove Myall Lakes National Park--Mungo Brush
   2 Rose-crowned Fruit-Doves heard, one of which subsequently observed
   multiple times (quite skittish, but vocal) near the northern tip of the
   loop trail. Cabbage Tree Palms fruiting prolifically, many Green
   Catbirds, Topknot Pigeons and White-headed Pigeons also seen.
   Joshua Bergmark, Nathan Ruser, Simon Gorta
   Spectacled Monarch Caniaba, Lismore NSW
   First sighting for season.
   paul griffin
   Grey Goshawk Luddenham
   Single white morph seen being mobbed by Magpie-larks and Australian
   Magpies. Also great views when perched in a tree.
   Peter Bracken
   Fri 26 Sep Eurasian Coot Swan Lake, Cudmirrah, near Sussex Inlet
   Kayaked out mid afternoon to investigate a massive congregation of
   black birds on Swan Lake. They were all Eurasian Coots in one long
   narrow raft, and a conservative estimate would be 3,000 to 5,000.
   Attached is a photo of a small portion, perhaps a little blurred due to
   the rolling of the kayak. They were under attack by a White-breasted
   Sea-Eagle who successfully took two in separate sweeps, this following
   on directly from the same raptor flying overhead with a captured Black
   Swan and depositing it in its nest. A short drive early next morning to
   obtain a better photo was futile, with only a handful of Eurasian Coots
   remaining in the lake.
   Cameron Ward
   Superb Parrot, Blue-faced Honeyeater Orange Botanic Gardens
   Approx 25 Superb Parrots were feeding in cut grass between the gardens
   car park and the main road approx 5pm. A single Blue-faced Honeyeater
   was seen in the gardens near the entrance gate.
   Tom Wilson
   Australian Koel Kariong
   A male Australian Koel seen flying south. I don't think he was
   stopping. I haven't heard calling here yet.
   Christina Port
   Australian Shelduck Werai
   Lone Australian Shelduck in paddock by Mount Broughton Road
   mid-afternoon (not far from a dam and rivulet). Shelducks are rarely
   seen in the Southern Highlands.
   Lorne Johnson
   Thu 25 Sep Sooty Oystercatcher, Pied Oystercatcher, Grey Goshawk (white
   phase) Cudmirrah Beach (Berrara end)
   7 Sooty Oystercatchers (photo of six attached), 2 Pied Oystercatchers
   and a lone white phase Grey Goshawk were the highlights in this scenic
   area of Cudmirrah Beach.
   Cameron Ward, Janette Ward
   Hooded Plover Cudmirrah Beach (Sussex Inlet end)
   2 Hooded Plovers about half a kilometre along from the Sussex Inlet
   Surf Club. Despite all the signs warning of their presence people are
   letting their dogs run free (off leads) along this beach. Distant
   record photo attached.
   Cameron Ward, Janette Ward
   Freckled Duck Lithgow Wastewater Treatment Plant
   2 Freckled Duck on middle pond in with many Australasian Shoveler,
   Pink-eared Duck, Hardhead, Wood and Black Duck, both teal and grebes -
   approx 5pm
   Tom Wilson
   Grey Goshawk Wingham Brush Nature Reserve
   Grey morph Grey Goshawk perched in dead tree on far bank of Manning
   River. Mobbed by three Torresian Crows and flew over to the Brush.
   Nicholas Beswick
   Swift Parrots West bound McDonalds, M4 Motorway (near blacktown)
   Four Swift Parrots were seen preening and squawking westbound McDonalds
   carpark on the M4 motorway. There is a planting of flowering ironbarks
   in the patch between the mcdonalds and the service station; they were
   in there. Sorry, no photo, it was windy, cold and raining when I saw
   them carrying on, obviously excited by this miserable tasmanian-style
   weather. So western sydney birders.... Perhaps a patch of birding
   mid-commute?
   Henry Cook
   Grey Plover Manyana - -35.268411, 150.508458
   Grey Plover - Whimbrel, Hooded Plovers, Red Capped Plovers, Pied
   Oystercatchers, Egrets and Cormorants were some of the highlights at
   Manyana side of Lake Conjola entrance.
   Charles Dove
   Dollarbird Sawtell
   First return for season - about usual date here - catching its breath
   after migration on traditional spot on powerlines in main street.
   Peter Higgins
   Dollarbird Woodfield Avenue Bundeena
   We both heard a Dollarbird calling this morning. First we've heard for
   this locality this season.
   Deryk and Leslie Engel
   Wed 24 Sep Glossy Black-Cockatoo, Red-browed Treecreeper, Scarlet Robin
   Capertee Village
   2 Glossy Black-Cockatoos (both males) seen feeding on a private
   property just south of Capertee village (but were observed from outside
   the locked property gate). In the woodland accessible from the
   Castlereagh Highway a male Scarlet Robin and 2 Red-browed Treecreepers
   were seen, along with a Wonga Pigeon, and singing White-throated
   Gerygones
   Tom Wilson
   Powerful Owl Royal Botanic Gardens (Sydney)
   The Powerful Owl seems to have transferred its roosting allegiance to
   the large Black Bean near the gap in the Macquarie Wall [to the left of
   the "Spring Walk" as you walk away from the cafetaria complex]. It was
   reported there on the 22nd [but apparently failed to show up on the
   23rd].
   Ted Nixon
   Dollarbird, Spangled Drongo, Regent Bowerbird Halliday's Pt 10' Cell
   Dollarbird in trees behind Black Head beach, also 3 Spangled Drongos,
   Shining Bronze-cuckoo and female Regent Bowerbird. Grey morph Eastern
   Reef Heron on rocks by Pebbly Beach
   Nicholas Beswick
   Spectacled Monarch, Wompoo Fruit-dove Lower Pappinbarra
   The first Spectacled Monarchs of the season seen this morning, They
   could have been here earlier as I have been away for ten days. Wompoo
   Fruit-doves are also back after a few weeks absence.
   Ian Kerr
   Tue 23 Sep Australian Koel Balmoral
   This morning heard my first Australian Koel calls of the season, from
   the large Moreton Bay fig tree next to the Bathers' Pavilion, Balmoral
   Sylvia Griffin
   Rainbow Bee-eater, White-browed Woodswallow, Brown Goshawk Pearsons
   Lookout, Capertee
   A flock of over 40Rainbow Bee-eaters passed overhead approx 9:45am. 2
   White-browed Woodswallows seen circling close to lookout. Dusky
   Woodswallows also seen from lookout. A party of 3 Brown Goshawk (1
   male, 2 female) was seen circling low over the woodland. A Wedge-tailed
   Eagle also seen from here.
   Tom Wilson
   Little Eagle, Speckled Warbler, White-browed Babbler Capertee
   Valley--Coco Creek
   Speckled Warbler seen on side of road approx 10:30am. Little Eagle
   passed overhead just after. A gang (6-8) of White-browed Babblers was
   working through the trees about 100 metres on the Capertee side of the
   bridge.
   Tom Wilson
   Black-chinned Honeyeater, Diamond Firetail, Turquoise Parrot Capertee
   Valley--Crown Station Rd
   Singles of Black-chinned Honeyeater and Diamond Firetail seen at the
   mailboxes (Site 6 on the Capertee Valley Bird Routes brochure) - approx
   11am. 2 Turquoise Parrots flew overhead and a single was seen close to
   the side of the road about 100 metres back towards Glen Davis Rd. Also
   at site 6 were 6 Jacky Winters, 8 Double-barred Finches, 2 Rufous
   Songlark
   Tom Wilson
   Southern Boobook Pacific Baza 105 Wallalong Cres West Pymble and Quarry
   Creek Lane Cove National Park
   Thought you might be interested in the following sightings at Wallalong
   Cres West Pymble and the area of Lane Cove National park (Quarry Creek)
   directly below. (56 h 0326788 UTM 6262115) Southern Boobook Owl
   roosting quite low down just below our back verandah in a King Fern
   (Angiopteris avecta) from 1 September on and off to 22 September.
   Pacific Baza (2) on 22 September 2014. Mating and actively displaying
   about 20 m south of the above (in Quarry Creek Bushland, Lane Cove
   National Park.
   Noela Jones (Birdlife member)
   Stubble Quail, Horsfield's Bushlark, White-backed Swallow Bureen (south
   of Denman, Hunter Valley)
   There were Stubble Quails calling in the lucerne paddocks around Bureen
   yesterday afternoon. I haven't seen any reported for a while and these
   are the first I've heard in the Hunter since May. Horsfield's Bushlarks
   were vocal here and several other places nearby (e.g. Martindale,
   Yarrawa). There were 2 White-backed Swallows amongst the 100+ Fairy
   Martins over Bureen Creek and several Rainbow Bee-eaters are excavating
   already.
   Mick Roderick
   Painted Honeyeater Giants Creek (Upper Hunter Valley)
   Whilst the Regent Honeyeaters appear now to have departed Giants Creek
   (in fact, even have the Noisy Friars) there were 2 Painted Honeyeaters
   heard (and one seen) just west of where the Regents had been. I cannot
   see records of them in Giants Creek on any atlas. There is no mistletoe
   in flower or bud in the area. Of relevance I also called into Medhurst
   Bridge and found a few Painteds there - as reported by John Weigel the
   Amyema quandang in the wattles is not flowering, but I found yesterday
   that instead they are using the Amyema cambagei in the River Oaks.
   Mick Roderick
   Red-backed Kingfisher Rushforth Rd South Grafton
   sighted at 11.30am today at same position as reported by Greg Clancy.
   Observed flying down from power line and taking insects. Very active.
   Location was at the southern end of the badly eroded creek about half a
   kilometre before entrance to property Ballandean..
   Warren Thompson
   Dollarbird, Bassian Thrush, Koel, Channel-billed Cuckoo (3), Pacific
   Baza Warriewood Wetlands and Irrawong Reserve
   You can tell spring is definately underway with many migratory species
   back in the valley. Also many scarlet Honeyeaters and several Eastern
   Rosellas. Also of note was a Brown Antechinus running around my feet
   for ten minutes! At one point I sat down on a step nearby and it
   climbed to eye level about 10cm away from me and just looked at me!
   (Moderator's Note: This is the first Dollarbird for the Greater Sydney
   area.AKM)
   Jayden Walsh
   Redthroat, Black Honeyeater, Chirruping Wedgebill, Crimson Chat Broken
   Hill
   Lots of good birds about the town, Redthroat common
   Greg Roberts
   Mon 22 Sep Grey Plover, Topnot Pigeon Lake Conjola Estuary
   Single Grey Plover observed at fairly close distance on expansive sand
   flats in the lake at present. It was moulting out of breeding plumage,
   but still had distinctive black front. Flock of 20+ Topnot Pigeons in
   the coastal scrub feeding on the many fruiting lilypilly trees. Both
   species not seen by us in over 30 years of visitation to this area.
   Wolinski and Richardson families
   Common Blackbird and Topknot Pigeon Royal National Park--Wattle Flat
   About 8 Topknot Pigeons and a male Blackbird
   Marie Lister and Athena Georgiou
   Spotted Quail-Thrush Conjola National Park - Cudmirrah Section
   Seen in regenerating section of Blackbutt Road on left hand side,
   approximately 500m west of the intersection of Slaty Box Road.
   Lesley May
   Eastern Bristlebird, Pilotbird, Beautiful Firetail, Southern Emu Wren
   Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
   Early morning walk along the Griffiths Trail at Barren Grounds NR and
   back again later in the afternoon. Most of the 'specialties' found
   within a few hundred metres of the carpark. Eastern Bristlebirds are
   quite vocal. No Ground Parrots seen or heard. Still very cool early in
   the morning and the birds were relatively quiet, even at dawn. Based on
   previous visits and audio recordings from this site it is much more
   'birdy' later in the year from late October onwards.
   Marc Anderson
   Superb Parrot Tarcutta floodplain crossing on Hume Highway
   Sighted 2 Superb Parrots in flight crossing the highway, one of them
   kindly redecorating my windscreen while passing. Sighted plenty of
   other species while driving from Sydney to Albury including 3 x
   Square-tailed Kites, 5 Wedge-tailed Eagles (one trying to catch a
   rabbit on the freeway ahead of me), 1 Black-shouldered Kite and 1
   Black-faced Monarch.
   Andrew Whitaker
   Swift Parrot, Painted Honeyeater, Black-chinned Honeyeater, Turquoise
   Parrot Wilpinjong Creek, Murragamba
   Two Swift Parrots feeding on fruiting mistletoe or lerp in Rough-barked
   Apple and Blakeley's Red Gum on creek (no flower in red gums, just
   bud). Calling alerted to their presence. Theh were very 'flighty' and
   flew off twice before sundset could not relocate them. Passing through
   just for a day? Unfortunately on private property so there is no
   access. It is worth keeping a look out in the area. Three Painted
   Honeyeaters in fruiting mistletoe, two Turquoise Parrot and one
   Black-chinned Honeyeater nearby.
   Kurtis Lindsay
   Red-backed Kingfisher Rushforth Road, South Grafton
   Kingfisher still present this afternoon at the same location where it
   was observed on Thursday 18th. Also observed by local birdos on Friday
   and Saturday.
   Greg Clancy
   Painted Honeyeater Medhurst Bridge, Martindale Valley (Mid Hunter
   Valley)
   Up to 12 Painted Honeyeaters seen this morning at this well known site
   (the mistletoe at the site is Amyema quandang, which is growing in a
   bi-pinnate wattle, but apparently isn't flowering strongly). Maximum
   number of birds seen at once was 8.
   John Weigel per Mick Roderick
   Forest Kingfisher Caniaba, Lismore NSW
   FK (male) first sighting for season.
   paul griffin
   Australian Koel Greenwich [Gore Cove area]
   Taking my cue from Simon Gorta's posting of 20/9: one heard calling at
   7 a.m. [my first this spring, locally]
   Ted Nixon
   Sun 21 Sep Black-necked Stork Pacific HWY Grafton NSW
   2 Black-necked Storks in waterway alongside Pacific Highway. First time
   I've seen these birds! (Moderator's Note: There are at least 10
   breeding pairs in the Clarence Valley so a pair at Grafton are not
   unusual. AKM)
   Adrian O'Hara
   Diamond Firetail, Zebra Finch, Rufous Songlark, Brown Falcon 5 km SE
   Baldry on the Baldry-Molong Rd
   A pair of Diamond Firetails were found at a site where plantations of
   Spotted Gums had been planted to control salt problems in soil. Also
   present were 4 Zebra Finches, Rufous Songlarks and Fairy Martins, and a
   Brown Falcon. These were the only Diamond Firetails seen at 30 sites in
   and around the Parkes Shire in a 3 day survey.
   Alan Morris + 22 menbers of Birding NSW Central Coast Group
   Speckled Warbler, Brown Treecreeper, Black-chinned Honeyeater Spring
   Creek Picnic Area, Goobang NP, 35 km NE Parkes
   Highlights of a 2 hour morning stop at the Spring Creek Picnic Area by
   members of the CCGBNSW, included a Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, 2 Speckled
   Warblers, 2 Black-chinned Honeyeaters, nesting Brown Treecreepers,
   Choughs & Grey-shrike-thrushes, a Brown Goshawk and a Collared
   Sparrowhawk, Inland Thornbill, both White-throated and Western
   Gerygones, 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles, 2 Little Lorikeets, White-browed
   Babblers, Crested Shrike-tits and Rufous Songlark.
   Alan Morris + 22 others
   Buller's Albatross, Wandering type Albatros. wattamolla royal national
   park.
   Good numbers of albatross off wattamolla today including 45 Shy
   Albatross,about the same number of Black-browed Albatross.1 Wandering
   type Albatross, 3 Buller's Albatross and 1 Indian Yellow-nosed
   Albatross also 4 giant petrel I didn't get close enough views to
   identify witch species and 1 Fairy Prion.
   michael ronan.
   Top Knot Pigeons Deep Creek Reserve, Narrabeen
   Same walk as mentioned by Jayden Walsh. I arrived before other spotters
   & lost count as to how many TKP's took flight from the car park region.
   Estimate 50 plus. Light drizzle & cool
   Paddy de Klerk
   Sat 20 Sep Black Kite, Freckled Duck, Sacred Kingfisher, Gum Swamp,
   Forbes
   Highlights from a 90 minute stint at Gum Swamp by members of the
   BNSWCCG, included 11 Freckled Duck, 5 Sacred Kingfishers some calling,
   4 Black Kites, Sea-Eagle on nest, 1 Black-tailed Native-hen, nesting
   Choughs and Grey-crowned Babblers, Rainbow Bee-eaters, Australian
   Shovelers and Hoary-headed Grebes.
   Alan Morris & 22 others
   Glossy Black-Cockatoo Butterleaf State Forest / Glen Elgin area
   A total of ten birds sighted. Two groups of three (family groups) and
   two pairs. All feeding on Oak [Casuarina sp.]. All within a 50ha area.
   David Charley
   Fri 19 Sep Whiskered Tern, Australian Shelduck, Avocet, Freckled Duck
   Parkes Waste Water Treatment Park
   Highlights of a 2 hour stint at the Parkes STW by members of the
   Central Coast Group, Birding NSW included 9 Whiskered Terns, 2
   Australian Shelducks, 10 Red-necked Avocet, 3 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers,
   1 Black-tailed Native Hen, 1 Glossy Ibis, 3 Superb Parrots, 1 Freckled
   Duck, 10+ Australian Shovellers, 1 Rufous Songlark, a Swamp Harrier,
   Whistling Kite & 200+ Pink-eared Ducks and many Grey Teal etc.
   Alan Morris + 22 others
   Red-wing Parrot 19km west of Glenn Innes
   3 parrot observed on buds in roadside trees. Eastern edge of range.
   David Charley
   Thu 18 Sep Superb Parrot Holmwood HSD Bumberry, 30 km E of Parkes on
   Orange Road.
   Group of three Superb Parrots flew across the road and landed in a
   flowering Yellow Box
   Doug Hocking per Alan Morris
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list