birding-aus

Raven and Crow feet

To: "'Jenny Spry'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Raven and Crow feet
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 09:21:55 +1000
Hi All,

Coloration of a bird's integument, including the legs, feet and mandibles is
a result of concentrations of pigments, mostly carotenoids and melanins in
the epidermis. Several studies of a range of bird species have shown that
seasonal changes in coloration of the integument (colour, intensity and
extent of coloration) reflect the reproductive hormonal status of an
individual, whereas structural coloration (bill, leg & foot scales) is an
accurate signal of the health and condition of the bird.

I notice that in the links to photos that Jenny posted, the corvids not only
had a "cream wash" to the feet and legs, but also to the mandibles (bill).
While that may be a result of abrasion or dust, as indicated by others on
Birding-aus, I suggest that it could be an indication of poor health and
condition of the birds and/or that they are advanced in age.

Kind regards,
Stephen

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW