birding-aus

Vale Col Lloyd

To: <>
Subject: Vale Col Lloyd
From: "John Walter" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 08:34:02 +1000
It is with sadness we are letting people know about the passing of Col Lloyd
of Bellbowrie, Brisbane.

Col was a highly regarded engineer who was an authority on pressure vessels
and was involved with setting up the standards of the Australian Natural Gas
Industry.

However in his spare time he, along with his wife Ali, were early members of
QOS (now Birds Qld). Having come to Brisbane in the early 1970's. He was a
keen birder, photographer, friend and gentleman. In the 70's and 80's his
family and ours made many bird watching trips to outback Australia.

He was instrumental in helping Peter Slater photograph a
Barred-Cuckoo-Shrike on the  nest, a first for this species. Col through his
work connections used riggers to build a scaffold, as I recall 105 feet
high, to get as close as possible to the nest and I was privileged to be the
third person after Peter and Col to photograph the bird. He also worked with
the late Jack Cupper on a tower hide at Gulugaba. Col was an excellent
photographer but was very modest with his work and was not interested in
publishing.

We send our condolences to his wife Ali, son Chris (who occasionally writes
on this list) and his daughters Cookie and Meg.

John and Ruth Walter