birding-aus

Spanish Sparrows

To: "'M. Hunter'" <>, <>
Subject: Spanish Sparrows
From: "Dick Jenkin" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 07:22:20 +1000
Hi Michael

We have just come back from Sardinia and there were plenty of Spanish
Sparrows there. I have also seen them in central Turkey. If you look at the
distribution maps they are present across the Mediterranean and North
African area.

How do they get there ? , the short answer is they fly !! :) :)

The Collins Bird Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe states  "Resident or
short-range migrant in the W, mainly migratory in E ; in E Mediterranean in
Spring and Autumn, seen migrating by day in typically dense flocks, which
move in purposeful, billowing low flight and at surprisingly high speed."

They also hybridise with House Sparrow

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW