birding-aus

swooping seagulls Broome

Subject: swooping seagulls Broome
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 06:04:52 +0800
When I was running on Cable beach , Broome yesterday I was swooped
aggressively by one seagull and two or three others came across to fly
above me but now swoop.  I didn't stop to see if there were any
chicks(couldn't have been eggs as tide had been over the area I was running
on) but a glance while running didn't show any.  Swooping continued for
about half a kilometre and was the same as a magpie, although calling
continuously.

when I came back down the beach presumably the same bird swooped again
although in a much more half hearted fashion.

this is my first seagull swoop.  Black faced woodswallow, murray magpie,
peregrine and australian magpie and I think some sort of raven from memory.

My wife flushed  spotted nightjar yesterday walking along Minyirr park near
cable beach.

Gary