birding-aus

Partridge Pigeon petition

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Partridge Pigeon petition
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 16:05:50 +0930
Residents of Darwin River, 80 ams southwest of Darwin, have been fighting the
development of a “workers’ village” that will house up to 1100.  A major reason
is that this area is a stronghold for the vulnerable Partridge Pigeon and one
factor may be that landholders here work to control weeds and destructive fire.
 I began a petition
http://www.change.org/petitions/northern-territory-government-conduct-eis-on-partridge-pigeon-in-the-vicinity-of-berry-springs-darwin-river

We residents have just discovered that, according to the zoning of properties
at Darwin River (R), we have no right of appeal against the developer.  It's my
understanding that this ruling could apply to much of the land in the Northern
Territory.  Therefore given the push to "develop" the Territory, it's not just
Partridge Pigeon that may be at risk, but a bunch of other species as well,
including Gouldian Finch.

Anyone thinking of moving to the rural area of the NT might be wise to check
their rights.

Denise
Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71