birding-aus

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 10 Feb 2014 03:01:49 +1000

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 9 Feb 2014.

Sun 9 Feb Wedge tail eagle Bardon
Soaring over Bowman Park harassed by crows
Garry and Lyn Robinson

Red-chested Button-Quail (female) Hornsby Rd, Banksia Beach end, Bribie Island
Only the one bird, it was walking along beside the bitumen road edge, casually feeding, before crossing the road. It flew when about halfway across. We had it in our binocular view, about 8-10 metres away, for well over a minute and had ex. views - orange/red breast obvious. This was a first for our Bribie list.
Brian & Meg Johnson

Oriental Cuckoo Sandy Camp Road Wetlands
1 bird (grey) this morning.
Rob Morris

Sat 8 Feb Little Bittern Parklake Wetlands, Bli Bli
6.30am seen well at 2nd pond. Emerged from cover and sat in a motionless bird watch stance.
Janine de La Begassiere and Kim Challender

Franklin's Gull Lake Barambah (Bjelke-Petersen Dam)
The Franklin's Gull circled the Caravan Park Boat Ramp this morning at 0730 and landed briefly before being chased off by a Silver Gull. It was also harassed by a Caspian Tern while resting on the far shore. Interesting to watch it feeding amongst a mixed flock of Silver Gull, Great and Little Black Cormorant.
Todd Burrows

Eastern Grass Owl, Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Plum-headed Finches Postmans Track Section, Lake Samsonvale
Flushed from grass at end of Postmans Track, Eastern Grass Owl Adult and 40 Plum-headed Finches. Two Yellow-billed Spoonbills in swamp off this track.
Dezmond Wells

Black Bittern Sandy Camp Road Wetlands Reserve
The Bittern was seen well this morning when it flushed from the back pool as I walked the path around 9am.
Marie Tarrant

Fri 7 Feb Black-necked Stork Lake Kurwongbah
Feeding around dam edge near bridge on Scouts Road. Immature
Dezmond Wells

Shining Flycatcher Maroochy Wetland Sanctuary, Bli Bli
1 male in mangroves
Greg Roberts

Pale-vented Bush-hen, Baillon's Crake, Little Grassbird Cooroy Waste Water Treatment Plant
a bush-hen seen, two others heard. 3 Baillon's Crake
Greg Roberts

Bar-breasted Honeyeater Gracemere
Two birds nesting in low branch overhanging creek. Searched for this species high and low and finally found it in the caravan park in which we are staying.
Jean & Paul Newman

Thu 6 Feb Pacific Baza Albany Creek State High School
Two adults and three offspring calling and flying amongst trees on the school property.
Dezmond Wells

Franklin's Gull Lake Barambah (Bjelke-Petersen Dam)
At boatramp below camping area. I saw it for ten minutes on my second attempt. Also saw a Great Crested Grebe at the day area
Paul Jensen

Purple Swamphen North Lakes Shopping Centre
Purple Swamp-hens feeding on grass opposite car park and this unusual individual appeared with pied features.
Dezmond Wells

Cotton Pygmy-goose, Little Tern Ewen Maddock Dam, Kowald Road
Two pairs of Cotton Pygmy-goose close to shore. Three Little Terns flying and feeding over water.
Russ Lamb

Wed 5 Feb Spotted Harrier Hope Island Road, Hope Island
Single bird seen this afternoon flying low across Hope Island Road just east of the intersection with Marvyn Thomas Drive.
Todd Burrows

Yellow Chat Twelve Mile Creek Fishing Reserve Marmor Qld
6 birds seen. Group of 4 very flighty and only distant views. Two birds M and F seen further along bank and quite approachable. Mid-morning, windy and hot.
Jean & Paul Newman

Sun 2 Feb Fuscous Honeyeater Lacey's Creek, SE Qld
-27.225369, 152.727631 Not previously seen at this location, range extension?
John Leonard and Tom Tarrant

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Southern Queensland and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.