birding-aus

Mynas in Canberra

To: "'Greg and Val Clancy'" <>, "'Carl Clifford'" <>, "'Laurie Knight'" <>
Subject: Mynas in Canberra
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 18:32:31 +1100
I don't know whether they were kept as pets or just imported to Canberra and
released. But the story appears clear that they were introduced as well as
self spreading into our area. I don't know about father and son but the
story and family name responsible is well known in Canberra. Yes it is true
that they were deliberately introduced in Canberra in the 1960s & 1970s. 12
on 12-11-1968 and a total of 110 by September 1971. But that does not of
itself explain their subsequent success. Detailed in Steve Wilson's book.

What is more far important is the huge effort gone into trapping them and
they have gone from super abundant to - well not quite rare, but they are in
general terms no longer common. We have all the data from over 30 years of
Garden Bird Survey to support this. If you want to know about Garden Bird
Survey, that is in my book (although the Myna control program post dates
that).

Typical, Canberra gets to suffer from the (talking) rabble invading us from
other parts of the country.

Philip