birding-aus

Buddy the talking Starling

To: "'Laurie Knight'" <>
Subject: Buddy the talking Starling
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 16:44:21 +1100
I had not heard of that idea but no reason why it would not be included in
the mix. I suppose anyone could come up with that idea, even as an
afterthought but why would they not instead import the Hill Myna that is far
better known for this behaviour. There were many ideas that contributed to
the phenomenon of introducing fauna around the world in the 1830s, such as
that god had made errors in the distribution of fauna that needed to be
rectified. Also does not quite fit with that several of our own parrots are
pretty good as talking pets. Would that have been known then?

I had resisted the urge to change this to Buddy the talking hawk, I think
sadly, to be, swan.

Philip