birding-aus

FW: Night Parrots and slander

To: Burt May <>, " net. au" <>
Subject: FW: Night Parrots and slander
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 20:40:42 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Burt, Alastair & BirdingAus,

I believe ‘SHUT UP’ is a strong word, Burt, but it doesn’t
convince me and it doesn’t change the situation. Looks like you haven’t read
the most recent thread on Birding-Aus. You should do so. There is nothing
emotional like your statements imply. There is an objective discussion about
obvious image manipulations of the only two published images that are supposed
to prove the existence of the Night Parrot! This has nothing to do whatsoever
with how many hours someone has spent in the field. It is the fact that the
images were manipulated.

BTW: The same manipulations that you can find in the
Australian Birdlife magazine are also apparent in the newspaper coverage of the
story indicating that the manipulations had happened prior to submission to
Birdlife Australia.

It is too early to accept or reject the record as a genuine
life Night Parrot. As I said earlier, at this point we don't have any
scientific evidence at all that Night Parrots still exist, as none of the
original proofs have been presented so far.

However, there is hope that Night Parrots are still around,
as Jeff Davies had mentioned: There should be 598 further photos (raw files) of
the bird (hopefully some of which showing the other side of the bird), there
should be a 17-second video (of which only a couple of seconds were revealed so
far), there should be the so far unpublished DNA analysis (which may stem from
a different bird, as JY has found the feather(s) during daytime on the
roadside) and finally, there should be sound recordings.
I hope this will all be published in a peer-reviewed
journal and undergo proper scrutiny, so that the next step can be initiated:
The conservation of this species and its habitat!

So fingers crossed!

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Brisbane, QLD