birding-aus

Bird listing software - does any do this?

Subject: Bird listing software - does any do this?
From: Koren Mitchell <>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 08:12:47 +1000
Thanks to those who replied, either suggesting alternatives to Birdbase or how Birdbase could do what I want.

I'm aware of the various ways in which Birdbase can display my sightings. I think my problem is with the basic definition of a "trip", being one day at one location. I'd like to be able to be able to differentiate between an "outing" (one day, one location) and a "trip" which can contain multiple "outings".

The picture I have in my mind is that I could create a series of "outings" on day 1, day 2, etc to locations A, B, etc, but without entering any sightings. Then I could create a trip and choose the outings to include in that trip. The sightings would be entered for the trip and I could choose which outing(s) to link them to. I would then be able to display sightings either for an individual outing or for the whole trip, with one entry per species and a list of which outings I had seen the species on.

The main issue that I'm trying to avoid is having to re-enter those common species that are seen in most or all locations of a multi-day "trip".

I'd also like to be able to output a "trip list" that had each species only listed once, with its relevant "outings" underneath, instead of being listed separately for each outing in a trip. Something like the Birdbase "One per species" option, but with the information on the sightings for multiple outings all displayed instead of only the first outing on which the species was seen.

Ah well, I think I will stick to Birdbase for the time being, since I have so much data in it already.

Cheers, Koren

--
Koren Mitchell
Toowoomba, Australia