birding-aus

Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update
Date: 30 Sep 2013 06:56:23 +1000

Birdline Tasmania

Published sightings for the week ending 29 Sep 2013.

Sun 29 Sep Freckled Duck, Pink-eared Duck, Australian Spotted Crake, Dusky Moorhen Goulds Lagoon, Granton
Beautiful morning at the lagoon, with sightings of Freckled Duck (3) and Pink-eared Duck (1). Was also happy to see Australian Spotted Crake (1) and Dusky Moorhen (1).
Mona Loofs Samorzewski

Sun 22 Sep Common Diving-petrel Eaglehawk Pelagic - shelf
A rather quiet weekend off Eaglehawk, especially compared to last weekend. One of the highlights was a Common Diving-petrel (one of several seen), which popped up next to our boat when we were burleying. It was seen sitting on the water several times, then it would dive, presumably after the scraps we threw off the boat, Sometimes it would fly off & then it would pop up again (I think the same bird). This it did about 4 times. This is the first time I've heard of a diving-petrel come in to burleying. Other highlights were an adult Salvin's Albatross, in inshore waters, Wandering & Southern Royal Albatrosses, both Giant Petrels & several prions.
Kevin Bartram

Scrubtit Taranna State Forest Walk, Pirates Rd, Tasman Peninsula
3 or so seen around entrance to forest walk, quite easy to see. (Moderator's note: Not really an unusual species or location, but often not easy to find and/or see well).
Kevin Bartram, Scott Baker

Birdline Tasmania is hosted by Eremaea Birds.