birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 16 Sep 2013 10:27:24 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 15 Sep 2013.

Thu 12 Sep Australian Koel Malanda
My first for season heard at Malanda, in town. Channel-billed Cuckoo now widespread in the tablelands area, heard every day this week.
John Grant

Wed 11 Sep Little Friarbird Anderson Road precinct, Woree
Single bird seen about 0915. Sat in Top of tree preening itself for about 15 minutes. First recording for me in this area. (Moderator Note: uncommon in area).
Greg Bortolussi

Tue 10 Sep Peregrine Falcon Castle Hill, Townsville
One Peregrine Falcon seen on top of the hill near the cliffs. (Moderator note:- This is the fifth record for this location since 2011).
Stanley Tang

Radjah Shelduck Mungalla Station (Forrest Beach, Queensland)
Pair Radjah Shelduck mostly standing quietly at edge of water, NE end of main lagoon this morning; distant picture ; also Pacific Golden-Plover, second only sighting of this migratory species at this site this migratory season.
Tony Ashton

Mon 9 Sep Black Falcon Bromfield Swamp
One on a dead tree near the observation platform. There has been an unusually large influx of this species to the area, surpassing the last influx which was (I think) 2002.
John Grant

Australian Little Bittern Tyto Wetlands, Ingham
Male Little Bittern fishing briefly from base of scleria, main lagoon, 75m from lookout, this morning; slow neck stretch down, quick strike on unknown prey and bird was gone deeper into scleria. Usual distant pix
Tony Ashton

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Northern Queensland and BirdLife Townsville and hosted by Eremaea Birds.