birding-aus

Yellow-spotted or Graceful Honeyeater?

To: Nikolas Haass <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Yellow-spotted or Graceful Honeyeater?
From: David James <>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 02:52:11 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Nikolas,

The two species are similar looking, everyone agrees. Seeing the two species
together a few minutes apart or at the same time is not unusual, so it is not
only a circumstantial argument but a dubious one too. If you can only see one
bird pictured I would politely suggest that you are missing the detail. The
differences are subtle, yet obvious to an experienced eye. I lived in
Townsville, where all 3 occur, for 11 years, studied them throughout their
Australian ranges in the field and looked at museum skins for my ID article,
and have since found the characters I proposed to be fail safe. I think the
'streaking' on the underparts of the first photo is very narrow shaft streaks
(only noticeable with too much scrutiny) and is due to pale feather edges on
the 2nd, so quite different (hence the term I use, 'shaggy' rather than
'streaky'). The first has a yellow belly strip, the second a yellow belly wash.
The first has a more orange tinge to the fleshy
 part of the gape, where as the 2nd has a gape all the same SHADE of yellow but
a little BRIGHTER on the fleshy bit. The angles are not good for comparing the
shape of the stripe. The bills are different shapes, long, fine, decurved in
the 1st, stubbier and chunkier in the 2nd. The shape of the ear patch is
unreliable. The size of the ear patch tends to be bigger in Y-S and to my eye
it looks bigger in the 2nd photo. All these characters and others are explained
much more clearly in my article, but unfortunately I don't have a scan to send
you.