birding-aus

Duck Shooting in NSW

Subject: Duck Shooting in NSW
From: Erica Trinder <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:17:43 +1000
Hi,

I was wondering what people think / feel / know about recreational shooting
of NSW waterbirds?

When I say recreational shooting, that's what it of course is. But it is
being politically disguised under the "pest management" banner by the
O'Farrell government. They're calling it a cull! Yet they have now added
the pink-eared duck to the hit list. Despite the fact they are claiming
they are doing this cull for the rice and grain farmers (claiming the birds
eat their crops), yet the pink-eared duck eats insects, not grains.

For more on the latest from the O'Farrell government giving in to every
desire of the 2 Upper House NSW Shooters MP's, see:
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/duck-season-puts-ofarrell-in-crosshairs-20130621-2onxa.html

I'm very interested in people's thoughts and comments on this topic.

My interest in this is that I care deeply for all animals, and will fight
to the death for them. I've been going down to Victoria for many years to
protect and rescue our native water birds during the annual duck shooting
season. However, the state of things in NSW is quite possibly a whole lot
worse, as it takes place on private property all year round, where it can't
be monitored. I've heard terrible stories of as many as 3000 birds being
killed (I hate to think how many were not killed outright, but seriously
wounded) in a single days shooting on a single property. But no one aside
from the shooters and farmers really knows exactly what's going on...and
they're certainly not telling. I'd appreciate the thoughts and knowledge of
people in the bird loving community.

--
Erica Trinder
CatRescue Coordinator