birding-aus

Morepork in Hamilton - update

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Morepork in Hamilton - update
From: Steve <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 22:08:11 +1000
G'day all

The Morepork that I first found in my garden ('roasting' in a dense tree as the
birdlife Australia-Hamilton newsletter put it) on 2 June was still there
yesterday.  It wasn't seen today but has disappeared for a few days before -
before coming back to one of two regular trees.  It's been a pleasure showing
it to local and visiting birders.

Yesterday two birders drove up from Melbourne just to see it and spent about an
hour with cameras and scopes trained on it.  It has become used to people now
and barely raises an eyelid when we stand under it and gawk - so hard to see
the yellow eyes.  With my permission a brief burst of the 'mopoke' call from
the Morecombe app was played with the hope that the bird would open it's eyes.
There was a total lack of reaction.

Jenny and I are not going to be around for a couple of weeks (an East Timor
holiday beckons) but if it is still around in mid July I'll let people know and
visitors are welcome as long as they spend a few $ in Hamilton before they head
home.

Cheers
Steve Clark
Hamilton, Vic