birding-aus

Has anyone seen Striated Grasswren at Hattah recently? And is the the Ru

To: <>, "" <>
Subject: Has anyone seen Striated Grasswren at Hattah recently? And is the the Rufous Fieldwren usually seen alone?
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:32:47 +1100
Hi Patrick,
I hope u are well...

As u well know, I'm not a great fan of observers using playback when just
looking for birds - there are times when playback, in my opinion, should be
used (like in some well-meaning research, for instance...).   But using it just
solely for finding birds to make it easier & for saving time, just to tick them
off, I feel it is rather unsporting & quite frankly, rather lazy - surely, we
are not so time poor that we can't use our time to actually find the birds we
are seeking without "cheating" by using playback...
I know that this can be a rather contentious issue, so I'm not wanting to
invite a great slinging match here over this topic (again!!) - I'm just stating
this as my opinion & in this case, knowing you Patrick, this is very
relevant... It is better to learn how to find the birds without using playback
first...
I must say I am quite proud that I've found all the birds I've seen in this
vast country without any use of playback whatsoever, but I guess, each to their
own...

Now having said all of that, please do try for Striated Gwren along the Nowingi
Track at Hattah - I've usually got them at the northern end of it, but if you
just walk quietly or drive very slowly (as I normally do) along this track, u
should come across some - also if needed, the country to the west of Hattah
township can be good for them. There are other sites further afield like Pink
Lakes etc which are good also, but u won't have time...

For Rufous Fieldwren, hit the country west of Hattah township & as soon as u
see a few salt pans, try there & search the saltbush areas for them. Another
good spot is to the sth-east of Hattah just sth of Manangatang at the very
northern end of Lake Walpool (where Lake Walpool Rd actually crosses the lake)
- hit the saltbush flats there...
If u miss there then try Lake Tyrell nearby, u should get Redthroat easily
there too...

Good luck & don't worry about calling the birds in with anything other than
your own mouth!!!

Cheers,

Martin Cachard
Cairns