birding-aus

Has anyone seen Striated Grasswren at Hattah recently? And is the the Ru

Subject: Has anyone seen Striated Grasswren at Hattah recently? And is the the Rufous Fieldwren usually seen alone?
From: Patrick Scully <>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 20:34:46 +1100
Hi Fellow Birders,
I'm thinking of heading up Hattah way this weekend and I'm hoping I might
get lucky with seeing a  Striated Grasswren.  Has anyone seen them at
Hattah recently?  Everyone I speak to about them says they are very
difficult to see.  I'm wondering if it is impossible to see them without
playback?  I was out on a day trip with Tim Bawden  last year and we saw a
Chestnut-rumped Heathwren and I would say that it's virtually impossible to
see one without playback and excellent birding skills combined.   So with
this in mind I don't want to waste my time if the  Striated Grasswren is
one such bird as I don't have either an an iPhone or recored birdcalls
currently.

I'm also going to have a go at the Rufous Fieldwren and I'm wondering if
they are usually seen alone or do do they group like fairy-wrens? At his
time of the year will they come up to the top of the saltbush or do they
usually only do that in the Spring?

Happy Birding,
Patrick Scully