birding-aus

Square-tailed kite, Mount Annan, NSW.

To: <>
Subject: Square-tailed kite, Mount Annan, NSW.
From: "Richard Johnstone" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 07:25:31 +1100
For a bit over a week some of the horticultural staff at my workplace
(Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan) have been asking if I have seen a
large raptor, and finally I saw it last Wednesday 14 Feb, about midday. The
description I had been given sounded like a Square-tailed Kite, so it wasn't
surprising when that's what it turned out to be.  Last Friday afternoon (16
Feb) I was leaving work at 5 pm and saw a ST Kite in the middle of Mount
Annan suburb, on Welling Drive, flying low above the house rooves. I have
also seen this species several times since the beginning of January in the
Luddenham area, on The Northern Rd, always a single bird.

Cheers, Richard.