birding-aus

Long-toed Stint and Oriental Plovers in NT

To: "NTbirds" <>
Subject: Long-toed Stint and Oriental Plovers in NT
From: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 13:44:33 +0930
During November we were living in Yuendumu Community up the Tanami Road. I
checked the sewage ponds daily and on about the 10th a small wader turned up. I
thought it was a Long-toed Stint but sent photographs of it away for
confirmation. It was indeed a Long-toed Stint and was still there on the 18th
when we left. We are now living at Nyirripi Community (about an hour west of
Newhaven Sanctuary) and yesterday 3 Oriental Plovers turned up at our small
sewage ponds and are still there today. Also around are Orange Chat, 2
Peregrines watching the birds drinking at the ponds, 2 Black-tailed Native-hens
stayed 2 days but now gone 1 Whiskered Tern in full breeding plumage and the
usual arid land honeyeaters Black, Pied, Grey-headed and Spiny-cheeked.  On the
ponds themselves are 11 Grey Teal 5 Pink-eared Ducks 1 Australasian and 2
Hoary-headed Grebes and round the edges Red-kneed and Black-fronted Dotterels

Don Hadden

P O Box 1007, Malanda, Qld 4885, Australia
Mobile: +61 439958220

Web: www.donhadden.com for Australian bird images