birding-aus

Figbirds nesting in a shopping centre carpark

Subject: Figbirds nesting in a shopping centre carpark
From: Judith L-A <>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:32:00 +1000
Yes, Laurie, I thought it might be reduced-predation risk, when last week I
saw Figbirds nest-building outside NorthLakes shopping centre -- like an
Oriole's over a stream, this Figbird nest hung directly over the road.
Quite surprising, even though we see Lorikeet nightroosts at trafficked
sites.

Cheers,
Judith.

*Date*:Sun, 9 Dec 2012 14:20:39 +1000
One of my local shopping centres (in Brisbane) has tipuanas (or similar) as
shade trees in its carpark. As I was loading some shopping bags I noticed
movement a few metres away on one of the lower branches. A male figbird was
feeding lilly pilly fruits to some day old hatchlings. It flew off and was
replaced by the female which continued to feed fruit to the hatchlings. (I
have currawongs scoffing the lilly pilly fruit in my back yard). It was
cute watching the little upstretched bills begging for more food - they
were like wide-angled venus fly traps ...

Anyhow, it struck me as interesting that fig birds would choose a low branch
(only a couple of metres off the ground) on a weed species in a shopping
centre carpark for a nest site - not sure if they chose it because it was a
vacant territory with access to food or because the risk of predation might
be lower ...

Regards, Laurie.