birding-aus

Drones & birding

To: Mark Carter <>
Subject: Drones & birding
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 19:40:07 +1100
Mark,

It depends on the actual purpose and size. I have just had a quick read through
of CASA's Advisory Circular AC 101-(0)
http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/rules/1998casr/101/101c01.pdf
and their unmanned aircraft systems information sheet
http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100071/uas.pdf  and it looks like
that the use of small drones, such as the quadricopter types would be ok, as
long as they are 1. Used for sport, recreation and education purposes, 2. They
remain within sight of the operator and 3. don,t wander into controlled
airspace. These are the same restrictions that apply to RC model aircraft. This
usage would cover the use of drones for many bird related uses, as they would
come under recreational and educational uses.

Having said that, what the future holds in regard to regulations governing the
use of small UAVs, who knows. I imagine if some muppets in the media or
paparazzi uses one to invade privacy sufficiently, the game will change. There
is also the little matter of their use in espionage, state or industrial.

The whole matter of the use of UAVs is very much a matter of watch this space.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford