birding-aus

What value a photo?

To: inger vandyke <>
Subject: What value a photo?
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:55:28 +1000
It is a fact of life that the "digital revolution" is changing things in
many areas. We see banks and others moving their call centres overseas to
take advantage of lower costs - expedited by the improvement in computers
and communications. In  my former area of employment (luckily I am retired
now) of software development there has been an increasing tendency for
large software projects to be contracted out to developers in India and
other places. There are now websites devoted to getting quotes for software
development from individuals - and the lowest quotes are usually from
India, China or similar countries and are at prices that would make it
impossible for an Aussie developer to compete. I gather even the "grunt
work" in law firms and accountancy is now being sent overseas.
In non-digital areas of course we see similar things - how much
manufacturing is left in Aus?
In many cases it is only jobs that require a physical presence - such as a
tradesperson - that seem safe from such competition. Taking photographs of
course fits into this category - but the same digital revolution now makes
it so much easier for anyone to take lots of photos without the expense of
development and printing which used to hold people back - and some of those
will be acceptable to publishers.
So whilst we all benefit from the changes in society - bank charges would
probably be higher if they did all these jobs in Aus - there is an
increasing threat to many jobs. It has of course always been like this -
not too many steam train drivers around now - and probably always will be.
So whilst I have the greatest sympathy for those whose livelihoods are
threatened by amateurs, you are not alone as many others face competition
from cheap labour in other countries, which you will not do!

<>