birding-aus

birding and glasses (and contact lenses now)

To: <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>
Subject: birding and glasses (and contact lenses now)
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 23:21:05 +0000
Hi Arwen,

Thanks for your offline response.  As I regularly bird with transition lens
glasses I know that whilst you do get some colour distortion, it is not a huge
issue, though if I am birding in rainforest areas (where it may be bright and
sunny on the track, but you are looking at birds in the gloom of the
undergrowth) I either use my non transition lens glasses or one contact.

To clarify your query about the one contact option, if you don't need reading
glasses you may still be able to read field guides with both contacts in which
would be ideal. The one contact idea is that you correct your dominant eye for
near sight/shortsightedness (is that a word?) and the other eye allows you to
read.  So this suggestion only works if that other eye is good enough to read
without the need for glasses. Also be aware that when you first try this the
visual effect is really weird! The best way I can describe it is a 'ghosting'
effect - double vision, but not, if that makes sense. It takes a few days for
the brain to adapt to it.

 Interestingly, for people with cataracts who have intraoccular  lens surgery,
my optometrist told me that most people opt to have one corrected for long
sight (reading) and the other for short sight (distance) so clearly the brain
does adapt to this permanent solution.  Roll on cataracts as far as I am
concerned! Laser lens surgery costs a fortune whilst cataract surgery is
supported by Medicare.

A final point is that you admit to cringing at the thought of sticking things
in your eyes.  My husband just struggles terribly getting contacts into or out
of his eyes! Whilst it is highly amusing to watch his antics, he usually gives
up and suffers fogging up as a consequence.

Good luck!

Judith

To: ; ;
; ; ;
; ; ;
;
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 07:40:36 +1000

Hi again,

sorry I haven't had a chance to reply since my last email, thanks for all the
additional responses!!!

well, I've been doing some research and I'm leaning towards trialling contacts
(I also found the contact lenses thread) - mostly because of all the issues
with glasses - I don't want to have to switch between normal glasses and
sunnies, and I don't like the idea of having to look through the frames all the
time, then there's the problem with rain/steam/spray, getting used to
glasses+bins, etc.

My research so far indicates the glasses lenses that would be most suitable for
birding are the new (expensive) Japanese freeform lenses - these are multifocal
but with a wider distance field as I understand it - perfect for birdwatching
and also easier to get used to apparently. I thought it worth mentioning for
those out there who said they wanted a wider field of view. I might need to
wait for these, another reason to try contacts.

I am interested in Judith's suggestion of putting one contact lense in the
dominant eye - I didn't discuss this with the optometrist though as I was
really thinking glasses at that stage, but will do so. Apparently you can also
get multifocal contacts now - I'm not sure about those, or how they work.

I do have a question - I thought it odd that the optometrist didn't think there
was a problem using bins with sunglasses (i.e. prescription sunnies) - surely
you need light to see through the bins? Both people I talked to in the shop,
one being the optometrist, were convinced sunnies would hardly make any
difference.

My heartfelt thanks again to everyone who shared their experiences and ideas,
there were many points I would not have thought of.

I'll keep you posted.

Arwen

Arwen Blackwood Ximenes