birding-aus

birding and glasses

To: <>, <>
Subject: birding and glasses
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 06:58:52 +0000
Hi Arwen,

I have been wearing glasses to bird for ages and long ago got used to not
lifting them up on top of my head before looking through the bins.  But there
are some situations that having to wear them drives me to distraction - fogging
up in hot, humid rainforest, salt spray on pelagics being two of the worst
things about birding with glasses.

I tried contact lenses (which as Rob suggests can be a great alternative) but
for many of us, wearing contacts means that we then have to wear reading
glasses to check field guides, GPS reading etc. That drives me nuts too!

I was explaining this to my optometrist and he suggested wearing one contact
lens in my dominant eye.  A quick test revealed this to be my left astigmatism
affected eye.  I was thus very dubious.  Happy to say it works a treat!
Initially you do notice a slight aberation, but your brain quickly adapts.
Obviously this only works until you HAVE to wear reading glasses, but if you
are not in that boat yet it may be worth a try.

Regards

Judith