birding-aus

birding and glasses

Subject: birding and glasses
From: Janet Mattiske and Frank Pierce <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 15:19:20 +1000

I need glasses for both long and short distances. My aim is to have one set that I never have to take off, so I don't have to spend hours looking for the last place I left them. I only take them off for swimming or sleeping and don't even use a case for them.

I use colour-chromatic (grey tint), multi-focal, toughened glass, metal -framed glasses. I lift them to look through my Leica 10x40s.

The colour-chromatic is so I don't need sunglasses.

Multifocal is to avoid needing separate reading glasses. I specify that I want the multi-focal section set about 3mm lower than normal, so I can rock hop down a creek with the rocks in focus while I'm looking where I'm going. The lower setting is fine for general reading. However not for reading in bed, so I have a set of reading glasses specifically for this, that stay at the bedside (or in the clothes bag if travelling).

Toughened Glass is for much better scratch resistance than plastic lenses, so they can take rough treatment, (mud or sweat wiped off with a shirt sleeve etc.). The glass is heavier than plastic but this is a price worth paying.

Lifting the glasses quickly becomes an automatic response, I don't take them off, just raise them to clear the bins. (New frames need to be tested to ensure that this movement is convenient.) It does mean that you need 2 hands to be free, so I ensure that anything else to be carried is in a pocket or attached to my belt or Bins harness. I use a shoulder strap to carry the scope.

I would like to find an optometrist in Melbourne, preferably a birder, who might understand the statement 'I want to see as clearly as absolutely possible, for the maximum width of view as possible'. Previous glasses I have had have varied in this respect.

There are many options and all are subject to personal choice and none are perfect.

Frank Pierce