birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 23 Apr 2012 01:31:11 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 22 Apr 2012.

Sun 22 Apr Figbird Cammeray, near North Sydney
I heard and saw several Figbirds at the corner of Miller and Falcon Streets at 16:20 this afternoon. Not sure what merit this reporting has, I found them to be not that common in Sydney.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Red-necked Avocet Ash Island Newcastle
Approx 25 Red-necked Avocets off Wagtail Way Ash Island.Plus young sea-eagle, brown falcon.Saw a fox with a swamphen in its mouth running along side rail trac.k
Tony & Stephanie Dawe

Sat 21 Apr Shining Bronze-cuckoo Yaralla, Concord
Single plagosus seen well being mobbed by Yellow Thornbills and Silvereyes. Also a first year Rufous Whistler. Both first sightings in Concord for me and first ever Shining Bronze-cuckoo in inner west personally.
Dion Hobcroft

Black Noddy, Common Noddy Flat Rock, Ballina
1 Black Noddy & 7 Common Noddy resting on Flat Rock late this afternoon. Also 2 Wandering Tattler, 1 Reef Egreat, approx 300 Little Tern & 200 Common Tern.
Steve McBride

Eastern Osprey, Kelp Gull Long Reef
One Osprey spent some time around the rock platform, occasionally landing on the rocks a bit after low tide. Earlier on the same day, a juvenile Kelp Gull flew by.
Frank Valckenborgh

Fri 20 Apr Southern Boobook Mason Park, North Strathfield
One adult found roosting late afternoon on north side track in Casuarinas. First sighting for me in inner west.
Dion Hobcroft

Cicadabird, Fantail Cuckoo, Noisy Pitta, Australian King Parrots Uralba Nature Reserve, SE of Alstonville
Still have one or two Cicadabirds calling as well as a few Fantail Cuckoo, some of these cuckoos usually over-winter. Also Noisy Pitta have been calling for the past three weeks or so. King Parrots are back in small groups of up to 8 birds.
David Charley

Thu 19 Apr Musk Lorikeets Behind St Kevin's Primary School, Oaks Avenue, Dee Why
Up to 10 Musk Lorikeets feeding in two partially-flowering Blue Gums (Eucalyptus saligna) seen from a unit in 53 Oaks Avenue overlooking the school. Have been twice today to feed and only with the odd Noisy Miner and one Red Wattlebird.
Rae Lister

Wed 18 Apr Koel Flynn's Beach Port Macquarie
Three juveniles, the same two that were seen on the 14th were seen again in the same trees, and another 150m further north above Rocky Beach. All seen during a break in the rain this afternoon about 4pm.
Ian Kerr

Tue 17 Apr Australian King Parrot Wonboyn Caravan Park
I'm not sure if this is interesting. I have seen a King-Parrot at Wonboyn once before with similar unusual pigmentation. (Moderator's Note: King Parrots have a tendency to throw partial lutino offspring in the wild. AKM)
Angus Hartshorn

Brolga Hasting River Drive, Fernbank Creek, Port Macquarie
4 seen at 10.30 am. They seem to come here after heavy rain.
Ian Kerr

Pacific Baza Sun Valley near Springwood NSW
3 flying overhead
Matt Stephens

Mon 16 Apr Brolga Hastings River Drive and Willow Crescent, Fernbank, Port Macquarie
The four Brolgas previously reported were there about 1pm on Monday the 16th about 200m north of Willow Cres.
Paul Burcher, Isabel Burcher & Jacqueline Reifenstein

Glossy Black Cockatoos, Black-necked Stork, Painted Snipe Gwydir Wetlands, West of Moree
My best birdwatching day ever! We birdwatched from only 7:55am to 3pm and we got 95 species with three vulnerable species. Lots of breeding birds and heaps of water. Our first exciting encounter was seeing and hearing 11x Glossy Black Cockatoos which stayed in front of us for a long time in their trees. Our 2nd exciting encounter was talking to someone about Jabirus (Black-necked Stork) and she said that they are residents and breed on a particular lagoon, as she said it, a beautiful fully plumaged adult landed on the lagoon. And 3rd, looking at some Red-kneed Dotterels and Stilts, 8 little wading birds (Painted Snipes) which 6 of them were immatures were seen, Painted Snipes cant be mistaken by other species. Other exciting birds were a flock of 200 Masked and White browed Woodswallows, Great crested Grebes + imms, 100+ of Whiskered Terns which some are juveniles, Jacky Winter, Silvereye, Spotted Pardalote, 100s of Black winged Stilts and Glossy Ibis, Singing Honeyeater, Cattle Egrets, Grey-crowned Babblers, 200+ Night Herons and Whistling Ducks, Blue Bonnets, Pipits, 100's Native Hens, etc. (We only went to one property). Nesting Straw-necked Ibis in their 1000s. Lots more.
Curtis Hayne

Bassian Thrush Mount Tomah Botanic Gardens
Saw four Bassian Thrushes foraging in leaf litter; they were still rather shy birds despite the human traffic throughout gardens. Also great sightings of male and female Crested Shrike-tit.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Tree Sparrow West Cowra
We found 1 adult male bird, with House Sparrows, on the corner of Victor St & Logan St in Cowra, after a long search!
Steven Edwards & Alan Morris

Spotted Harrier, Australian Shoveler & Yellow-billed Spoonbill Edgells Lane Swamp, Bathurst
6 Australian Shovelers, close views of a Spotted Harrier and a Brown Goshawk, 1 Yellow-billed Spoonbill and all the usual waterbirds plus Goldfinches! Found this birding site today which is located 500m down Edgells Lane from its junction with Herefore Street, Kelso. You can park along side the wetland and it is well worth a visit if you are travelling through Bathurst.
Alan Morris & Steven Edwards

Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo Greenwich
6 Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoos landed in the angophora over the back fence at about 5.45. They were harrassed by local Magpies, Pied Currawongs and Noisy Miners for about 5 minutes then flew off in 2 groups of 3, one towards the harbour and the other towards Crows Nest. (Moderator's Note: Normally we would not publish sightings of small numbers of YTBC in the Sydney region as they are fairly common however there are few sightings in the Ryde-Turramurra-Mossman triangle! AKM)
Judy Clark

Noisy Pitta Lyndale Avenue, Port Macquarie
Not sure if this one was a stowaway from my camping weekend at Limeburners, however there was another Noisy Pitta calling from near my house early this morning. Late last week there was also a Powerful Owl calling for several hours.
Tim Morris

Pacific Baza Sun Valley near Springwood
Returning as per last 5 years always in early to mid April
Matt Stephens

Sun 15 Apr Powerful Owl Galaringi Reserve Evans rd Dundas
Went back to check out for the Powerful Owl then on arrival there were two.Able to get close up shot
Tony & Stephanie Dawe

Glossy Black Cockatoos Cherry Creek firetrail,Conimbla National Park, Cowra
We parked at Ironbark picnic spot on Barryrenie Rd and followed the firetrail towards Cherry Creek. Close to where the walking track returns to the management trail from the lookout we initiallyspotted 3 black cockatoos with red tail markings crunching on twigs and gumnuts in an old gumtree. we were first attracted to them by their calls as they were reasonably vocal. They flew off to another couple of gum trees before we lost sight of them. The next morning I again noticed them in a similar location but this time they were feeding on small (less than 2 metre high) casuarinas and again were very vocal calling between groups. there were more than 7 birds. I could not pick any yellow markings on their faces. Also seen were a pair of Turquoise Parrots, Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters, Brown Treecreepers and 20 plus Dusky Woodswallows as well as the more usual birds. Speckled Warblers were picked up on the track to the Lookout.
Trudy Robinson

Noisy Pitta, Square-tailed Kite Bonville Creek, Sawtell
First coastal Noisy Pitta for the season heard at 10:00pm while enjoying a night fish on Bonville Creek. Square-tailed kite cruising over township of Sawtell next morning near Boambee Headland.
Michael Cheers and Peter Richards

Noisy Pitta Limeburners Creek NR
A Noisy Pitta was calling most of the night at the Big Hill Campground, Limeburners Creek Nature Reserve. A late Rufous Fantail was also present.
Tim Morris

Rockwarbler West Head, Kur-ing-gai Chase NP
Saw two Rockwarblers at West Head Lookout also one young Figbird
Tony & Stephanie Dawe

Sat 14 Apr Koel Flynn's Beach Port Macuarie
Two juvenile Koels seen in the Flynn's Beach area, both fed by Little Wattlebirds this morning. One One 200m North, the other 400m west of Flynn's Beach. Neither seen or heard over the next four days.
Ian Kerr

Gilberts Whistler, Turquoise Parrot, Diamond Firetail Barryrennie Rd Creek crossing, near Conimbla N.P. Cowra
At a creek crossing on Barryrennie Rd we found a great bunch of birds. 2 Gilberts Whistlers, 11 Diamond Firetails, 5 Turquoise Parrots, 6 Double-barred Finch, 2 Speckled Warblers, 4 Peacful Dove, 4 Yellow- tufted Honeyeaters, 5 White-browed Babblers & 1 Wedged-tailed Eagle that flew over head. The list goes on... All of these birds can be seen from the road as it is private property on both sides of the road.
Steve Edwards & Alan Morris

Pale-headed Rosella Bourke NSW (Floodwaters area )
Standing near the Darling river just out of Bourke, inland NSW and two Pale-headed Rosella's flew past I was VERY surprised to see them, i'm used to seeing them up in the QLD direction eg Somerset near Brisbane. (Moderator's Note. The range of the Pale-headed Rosella in NSW streches from Inverell in the east, west to Bourke, and south to about Coonamble-Coonabarabran. AKM)
Kirri Hardy

Wed 11 Apr Rose Robin Basin Gully to Euraldrie lookout track,Weddin Mountain National Park
Rose Robin observed after we had walked about 2 k from the camping ground.
Trudy Robinson

Sun 1 Apr Brown and White Magpie/Mainly White Nambucca Heads

Carol Cate

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.