birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 23 Apr 2012 01:31:27 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 22 Apr 2012.

Sun 22 Apr Grey Goshawk, Australian Hobby Serendip Sanctuary, Lara
A real treat this morning around 8:30am - we saw an Australian Hobby harassing and pursuing a Grey Goshawk. We were initially alerted to the disturbance by the alarm calls of small bush birds, then we heard the strident call of the Hobby. After a bit of zig-zagging through the sky, with the Goshawk attempting to out-manoeuvre the Hobby, we eventually saw the Goshawk fly off to the east and out of the park with the Hobby in hot pursuit.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Swift Parrot, Singing Honeyeater Rutherglen
I was quite surprised to see a flock of 15 Swift Parrots high up heading south-east (probably to Chiltern) over Great Southern Rd near Rutherglen. I have never seen them around this area before. A Singing Honeyeater was also observed on the outskirts of Rutherglen in some flowering gums, a very rare bird in north-east Victoria. Some other interesting birds seen during the morning were a Spotted Harrier and Pied Butcherbirds at Lake Moodemere. At Boorhaman North some Grey-crowned Babblers, Apostlebirds and a flock of Plumed Whistling-Ducks were also seen.
Michael Ramsey - Bronzewing Birding Services

Swift Parrot Muckleford
Heard approx 10 to 20 swifties this morning near Castlemaine Golf Course.
Debbie Worland

Sat 21 Apr Olive Whistler, Pink Robin, Forest Raven Distillery Creek, Aireys Inlet
These birds seen at Ironbark Gorge, a pleasant walk up from Distillery Creek Picnic Ground
John Newman

Freckled Duck Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
One recently dead, no head or feet. 280 South Road.
Debbie Lustig and Rustem Upton

Diamond Firetail Serendip Sanctuary, Lara
Diamond Firetail (2) Two Diamond Firetails seen on the track at the far end of the kangaroo enclosure. The first time that we have recorded this species at Serendip.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Spotted Quail-thrush (3), Painted Button-quail(3), Australian Owlet-nightjar, Speckled Warbler, Brisbane Ranges National Park
A beautiful morning in the Brisbane Ranges yielded the above-mentioned treats, the highlight being fantastic looks at a pair of Spotted Quail-thrush foraging, oblivious to our presence; another was flushed nearby.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Regent Honeyeater, Brush Cuckoo, Rose Robin Chiltern
Highlights of a tour around Chiltern this morning were sensational views of a pair of Regent Honeyeaters, a Brush Cuckoo (likely on migration, not usual here) and a lovely male Rose Robin.
Michael Ramsey - Bronzewing Birding Services

Fri 20 Apr Double-banded Plover and Wood Sandpiper Frogmore Swamp, Moolort Plains
Single birds feeding in shallow pools on margins of wetland. Plover seen on previous day - possibly a juvenile bird. Single Wood Sandpiper observed at the wetland in late November also.
Geoff Park

grey currawong Morrah St Hastings
One grey currawong sitting on my back fence.First time sighted in my back yard after 30 years of observing here.
S & S King

Flame Robin, Black-fronted Dotterel. Bungaree, Bullarook.
2 Female Flame Robins seen on farm fence along Wades Lane Bullarook. Also saw 2 Black-fronted Dotterels feeding along the edge of a farm dam in Reidy's Road Bungaree. First time I have seen either of these species in this area.
Warren Palmer

Swift Parrot Malahang Park, Southern Rd, Heidelberg West
8 Swifties in flowering Mugga Ironbark beside the skate park at about 1330 hrs. Also visited other flowering eucalypts in the park, their calling interrupting my skateboarding session!
Peter Menkhorst

Thu 19 Apr Scarlet Honeyeater Axedale, Central Vic
Single Male Scarlet Honeyeater visiting our dry woodland block in the late afternoon is quite remarkable. After a very brief visit for a drink, it could not be re-located. Many Grey Box and numerous Eremophila, Grevillea and other natives in flower at present. We have had 10 honeyeater species on our property this month, but this - at the very limit of its range - was the best.
Bob Cook

Blue-winged Parrot Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Blue-winged Parrot (50) The BWPs were a nice mix of adults, immatures and some very young birds.
Hedley Earl

Weebill, Swift Parrot Newport Lakes Park
14+ Swift Parrot wheeling about and calling with separate group of at least eight seen, then 4 and then 2. 2 Weebill In eucalypts northwest of Amphitheatre with several Grey Fantail, Silvereye, Spotted Pardalote etc. First record here.
Steve Davidson

Wed 18 Apr Swift Parrot Mulga Dam, Kamarooka
Sighted 6 Swift Parrots in a large dead tree adjacent to Mulga Dam today at 2pm. Lots of honeyeaters feeding on flowering mallee in the Kamarooka area.
Ian Miles

Swift Parrot Ocean Grove
30+ Swifties feeding with Purple-crowned & Musk Lorikeets, Woodlands Estate.
Denis Sleep

Weebill Mont Albert North
A group of about 6 feeding in eucalypts in Koonung Creek Reserve.
Knud Hansen

Swift Parrot Kingower State Forest
Swift Parrot (4) Pigeon Rd west of Plantation Rd. Group - fairly quiet and only seen perched or flying.
Malcolm Cousland

Common Sandpiper Tidal creek at far western end of Jawbone Reserve, Williamstown (near Maddox Rd unsealed section)
This is the first Common Sandpiper I have seen around Melbourne for some years. [Moderator: This is a very late report as most have already flown north.]
Richard Nowotny

Flame Robin Wilson Reserve Ivanhoe
Hawking from dead trees in Reedy Lagoon - south end of playing fields.
Peter Thomson

Tue 17 Apr Broad-billed Sandpiper, Blue-winged Parrot Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
One Broad-billed Sandpiper seen among Red-necked Stint at the Western Lagoons. 14 Blue-winged Parrots along Austin Rd. Several Fairy Tern seen on the Spit, two White-winged Black Tern on Lake Borrie. Couldn't find any Freckled Duck.
Gina Hopkins & Jenny Flood

Sun 15 Apr Powerful Owl (large juvenile) Fairways Boulevard, Craigieburn
Large juvenile powerful owl ( lots of white within the banding fits the description) sighted flying overhead heading south towards city. Was being harassed by a large conspiracy of ravens, counted 18 of them. Lots of swooping and intimidating with the owl making the occasional evasive manoeuvre. Owl was not letting them distract it too much. Quite spectacular to see. Made my day.
Jenni Davis

Blue-faced Honeyeater Newstead township
Single bird seen high up in Yellow Gum behind our house. My last local record was in the same spot on March 10th 2010.
Geoff Park

Sat 14 Apr Peregrine Falcon, Australian Owlet-nightjar Mt Cole
Peregrine Falcon (1) Viewed from the top of Ben Nevis with the Wedge-tailed eagles Australian Owlet-nightjar
Steve & Judi Duke

Fri 13 Apr Scarlet Robin Hamilton
A male Scarlet Robin spent at least Friday 13th in my suburban Hamilton garden. I was away on the weekend so don't know how long it stayed. I heard it in the morning and saw it in the late afternoon. This is the first I've seen in town in the 30 years I've been here. It is possibly still around because I think I heard it again this (Monday) morning.
Steve Clark

Mon 9 Apr White-bellied Sea-Eagle Eildon
An immature White-bellied Sea-Eagle was seen in trees normally occupied by Whistling Kites. Location was at the bottom of McKay Crt, on the east side of the Pondage, where the spillway and power station outflows converge.
Richard Case

Wed 4 Apr Singing Honeyeater Cherry Lake (Altona)
20/4/2012 Singing Honeyeater - north of the lake's levee bank, near the south-east corner of Drake Boulevard, is a small dam surrounded by a cyclone fence. One of these birds that hangs around here appears to be a pale morph/mutation.
Peter Booth

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.