birding-aus

Lacey's Creek, SEQLD

Subject: Lacey's Creek, SEQLD
From: Andrew Stafford <>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 17:01:03 +1000
Hi Chris

Thanks for the update on Lacey's Creek. I have made two trips up there this
year in a small 1988 Pulsar hatch, so the recent closure certainly isn't a
result of the 2010 floods! In fact, on my earlier trip in January the road was
beautifully graded; I've never got up that hill so easily. Later that month
there was very, very heavy rain, but that didn't stop me making a second visit
in mid-February. On that occasion the creek crossing had to be negotiated much
more carefully, but that was mainly due to rocks, rather than water over the
road. The incline up to the ridge was still quite easy, with no major ruts,
potholes or washouts. I'm not sure what's caused the most recent damage you
speak of, but I presume it was probably the heavy rain earlier in March that
impacted most heavily on the Sunshine Coast and hinterlands.

It's certainly one of the better areas of vine scrub/rainforest close to
Brisbane, so hopefully the crossing will be fixed up soon. For the sake of
local residents, I'd be optimistic it won't be closed for long.

Andrew