birding-aus

Botulism poisoning in waterfowl

To: "'Andrew Hobbs'" <>
Subject: Botulism poisoning in waterfowl
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 09:11:49 +1100
Hi Andrew,

The question I would be posing in the light of your query is how recently
evolved are the current molecular structures of the neurotoxins of the
Clostridium botulinum? Perhaps Clostridium botulinum is a recently evolved
bacterium (in the evolutionary history of waterfowl) and/or its neurotoxins
are recently evolved proteins. If so, perhaps there has not been enough time
for ducks and swans to evolve a mechanism of resistance to the neurotoxins.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW