birding-aus

Botulism poisoning in waterfowl

To: Carl Clifford <>, Chris Watson <>
Subject: Botulism poisoning in waterfowl
From: "James O'Connor" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:37:09 +1100
Hi Chris,

A response from the AWHN:

We have a Fact Sheet on Botulism which provides a bit of information -
http://www.wildlifehealth.org.au/AWHN_Admin/ManageWebsite/FactSheets/UploadedFiles/118/Botulism%20-%20Diagnosing%20(Birds)%2016%20Jan%202008%20(1.0).pdf
 .
I suspect the epidemiology of botulism is complex and may present differently
dependant on environmental factors and bird feeding patterns. However based on
some of the literature and certainly not a comprehensive review, the grebes may
not be feeding on substrate / fish affected by the toxin. Based on the UGSG
NWHC Chapter in Avian disease on Botulism -
http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/publications/field_manual/chapter_38.pdf
 -  filter feeders (ducks) seem to be at highest risk of type C. However Canada
has reported type E in species such as grebes via feeding on fish (see:
http://www.ccwhc.ca/wildlife_health_topics/botulism/botulisme_org.php#bird
 ) Plus the attached may be of interest.

It sounds as if this has previously been reported and the event investigated.
The person to report to would be the Wildlife Coordinator in the Northern
Territory, Cathy Shilton. She is a veterinary pathologist and may have much
better knowledge regarding why certain species are affected too.

Cathy's contact details are:
Dept of Business, Industry and Resource Development Berrimah Vet Laboratories
GPO Box 3000
Darwin, NT 0801

W: 08 8999 2122

For the most recent List of Wildlife Coordinator's Contact Details for
reporting wildlife mortality events follow the link:
http://www.wildlifehealth.org.au/AWHN/ProgramsProjects/Programs.aspx
 and click on Wildlife coordinators (General surveillance).
http://www.wildlifehealth.org.au/AWHN/ProgramsProjects/Programs.aspx?id=9

There's also a paper I can send you if you want it:

Rocke, T. E. 2006. The global importance of avian botulism. Waterbirds around
the world. Eds. G.C. Boere, C.A. Galbraith & D.A. Stroud.
The Stationery Office, Edinburgh, UK. pp. 422-426.

Cheers,
James

James O'Connor | Head of Research

BirdLife Australia, Suite 2-05, 60 Leicester St, Carlton VIC 3053
Tel: (+61 3) 9347 0757 | Fax: (+61 3) 9347 9323

DISCLAIMER: Privileged and confidential information or data may be contained in
this message. If you are not the intended addressee indicated in this message,
you may not copy or deliver this message or take an action in reliance on it.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
return email. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that
do not relate to the official business of Birds Australia shall be understood
as neither given nor endorsed by it. Birds Australia accepts no liability for
any damage caused in the transmission, receipt or opening of this message and
any files transmitted with it.