birding-aus

Australian Painted Snipe

To: "" <>
Subject: Australian Painted Snipe
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:45:17 +1100
Many thanks to those who replied with information and pdf files with location
details of Dairy Swamp. This description is from Wheeler's (1955) Emu paper,
"Charadriiformes at the Laverton Saltworks, Victoria, 1950-1953".

"5. The Golf Links Swamp is a large, non-permanent swamp passed en route from
the Altona Railway Station to the Saltworks. The northern end of this swamp is
known as the **Dairy Swamp** and is covered with a short growth of samphire.
The Quarry Dam is now a permanent waterhole becoming more extensive as sand is
excavated from it. It lies at the south-east corner of the Golf Links Swamp."

and this is a link to the map from that paper:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pshute2/DairySwampLaverton#5680486330115083362

I haven't had time to properly compare the map to a Google Maps satellite image
of the area, but given that it's north of the old saltworks, and apparently
south of Laverton Ck, I'm guessing that the Quarry Dam mentioned became Altona
Tip, which then became Truganina Parklands, and now has a huge hill built over
it, which probably also covers the site of Dairy Swamp.

Perhaps the relatively recently built chain of ponds just north of the car park
is near where it was, but I doubt the topography is anything like what was
there then.

On the other hand, there is a golf course on the other side of Laverton Ck,
south east of Truganina Swamp. Perhaps at the time, Laverton Ck was indistinct
and marshy there, and is therefore not shown on the map. That would mean Dairy
Swamp might have been part of what is now Truganina Swamp, which I believe once
extended further east, where there is now housing.

Opinions welcome.

Peter Shute