birding-aus

The things that cause angst on Birding-Aus

To: Ken Cross <>, L&L Knight <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: The things that cause angst on Birding-Aus
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 05:54:41 +0930
As Ken points out there is more than one argument here.

>From mid October for a couple of weeks I was receiving from a thousand to
over 100,000 spam emails a day.  Most had Chinese addresses, but because
they ended in bigpond.com, my email program couldn't filter them out.
Three very smart technicians in the Philippines were able to reduce the
initial flow, but then I spent several days playing Round Robin between
other technicians and Telstra after the latter cancelled my account  for
reasons related to the junk messages.

The flow of spam meant that while I was away recently I was unable to access
emails from my BigPond site resulting in my missing some important meetings.
So for this reason (and many others) I hate spam, and that includes most
unsolicited emails.

I say most, because some years ago I replied to a couple of such emails, one
to do with a cultural and natural history website called Earthfoot and the
other to Sustainable Travel International.  The friendships I developed,
particularly through Earthfoot, have been very important.  Through both I
received a degree of support that was never forthcoming in Australia.  And
of course as a guide I get a lot of mail from people I don't know interested
in guiding or just learning about birds and other wildlife of the Top End.

Often I really enjoy the Birding Aus discussions - it's a welcome diversion
from these other things.  But I do sometimes wonder about the breadth of
life experience some contributors have.   After dealing with some of the
horrific issues that have befallen Aboriginal relatives I see Balangara
breaching regulations as very minor indeed.

As for supporting Balangara's venture financially, if I could have I might
have, after first replying and sussing out the operation.  But we're a
little poor at the moment having spent all our spare cash on another
computer.  This iMac we're taking to Arnhem Land.   Some little relatives
won't go to school, but with the computer my grand-daughter can teach them
all sorts of skills.  And my daughter-in-law can start her community
newsletter.

I'd like to buy another iMac and a printer next year for other family
members.  Given Laurie's point about Birding Aussers' dislike of being asked
for money, I promise not to appeal over the Birding Chatline for funds.

--
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow B.A. Grad.Dip.Arts
1/7 Songlark Street, Bakewell NT 0832, AUSTRALIA

Birdwatching and Indigenous tourism consultant
PhD Candidate (Southern Cross University, NSW)
Interpreter/transcriber, Lonely Planet Guide to Aboriginal Australia
Vice-chair, Wildlife Tourism Australia

http://www.denisegoodfellow.com.au
http://www.earthfoot.org
www.fatbirder.com/
For copies of Birds of Australia¹s Top End or Quiet Snake Dreaming, visit
amazon.com
http://www.facebook.com/Wildlife.Tourism.Australia
http://wildlifetourism.org.au

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him
to hold in higher regard those who think alike
than those who think differently."
(Nietzsche)