birding-aus

Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania - Pelagic Reports 3&4 Sept 2011 - photos. TWO n

To: Mike Carter <>, rob hynson <>, Daniel Mantle <>, "" <>
Subject: Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania - Pelagic Reports 3&4 Sept 2011 - photos. TWO not one CHATHAM ALBATROSS?
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 00:57:45 -0700 (PDT)
Mike et al.,

I see what you mean (especially in Rob's last 7 pictures the mandibular unguis
appears to show an almost wholly dark mandibular unguis. However, similar to
Raja's pictures, in Rob's pictures the bird before and after the Northern Royal
Albatross shows on both sides the same pattern of gray and white along the edge
of the hood that I described earlier. I think that this pattern indicates that
we are looking at only one individual and that the differences with regards to
the mandibular spot are light artifacts. Raja is currently not at home, once
she comes home tonight we'll have a look at her original pictures.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW