birding-aus

Birdline ACT Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
Date: 15 Aug 2011 01:30:10 +1000

Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 14 Aug 2011.

Sat 13 Aug Barn Owl Kama Nature Reserve
Barn Owl spotted sitting in a tree a few hundred metres along track tonight.
Scott Ryan

Superb Parrot Cook - reserve adjacent to Lyttleton Crescent and Wybalena Grove
Calls heard early yesterday morning and then two seen this morning. Superbs are seen daily here over summer – but this is the earliest we have seen them in the season.
Kim and Geoff Larmour

Fri 12 Aug Crescent Honeyeater, Satin Bowerbird Australian National Botanic Gardens
Eight green Satin Bowerbirds and a male Crescent Honeyeater observed this morning at the ANBG.
Alastair Smith

Black-shouldered Kite Callum Brae
Two Black shouldered kites seen around noon today sitting quietly in adjacent trees. Also two kestrels, a brown falcon, and surprisingly for August, a brown goshawk had a couple of swoops at me as I passed through its breeding territory from last year
sandra henderson

Wed 10 Aug Speckled Warbler, Southern Whiteface Uriarra TSR
A trip to the TSR produced 38 species this morning including 3 Speckled Warblers and 2 Southern Whiteface. Also observed four species of honeyeater.
Alastair Smith

Tue 9 Aug White-faced Heron Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant
Seven White-faced Herons at the sewage ponds this morning.
Alastair Smith

Little Eagle Kelly's Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetland, Fyshwick
Two Little Eagles observed circling over the southern end of Kellys this morning.
Alastair Smith

Australian Pelican Lake Burley Griffin
Close to 50 over Lake Burley Griffin at 1:30pm. First seen near Commonwealth Ave Bridge and heading west towards Scrivener Dam.
Alison Mackerras

Mon 8 Aug Barn Owl Mortimer Lewis Dve Greenway
A Barn Owl being harrassed by a group of magpies, ravens and currawongs. It was perched on the balcony rail of a 2 storeyed home unit, then on the ground , then on a window flyscreen, then it disappeared along with its noisy companions.
Anne Hall

Sun 7 Aug Peregrine Falcon Kingston ACT
Pair hunting successfuly around the two high rise buildings in Jardine St, Kingston adjacent to Telopea Park.
Shaun Bagley

Thu 4 Aug Barn Owl Hackett
Returned from a date with a pizza last night to a phone call from our co-diners to say there was a Barn Owl sitting outside their house in Hackett. Luckily we live around the corner and raced around to crippling views of it sitting in a leafless tree – a new garden bird for them and an ‘ACT tick’ for me! Also some friends reported a Barn Owl being chased by an Australian Raven across Canberra Ave in Manuka/Forrest on 2 August at about 8.45 AM.
David Andrew

Mon 1 Aug Australian Hobby Australian Institute of Sport Carpark Bruce
Saw two hobbies inspecting a large stick nest (looked like Magpie or Raven) in a tall gum tree in the car park near the AIS visitor centre in Bruce. Problem was that the hobbies were being aggressively inspected by a mob of about 15 Noisy Miners. I observed them for no more than 4 minutes. The two hobbies eventually flew off towards the CIT campus. Will keep an eye on the site.
Paul Fennell

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.