birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 00:05:05 +0930
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, August 1, 2011 to Sunday, August 7, 2011:

Area: SA

Date: Thursday, July 28, 2011

Location: South Creek, 15 kms NE along the Strzleckie track from Lyndhurst

Black-breasted Buzzard (Hamirostra melanosternon) (2) A pair of Black-breasted
Buzzard flew low over the creek, & were immediately attacked by 3 Nankeen
Kestrel & a Black-shouldered Kite. The Buzzards eventualy lost the battle, &
flew off at a great height.

Red-backed Kingfisher (Todiramphus pyrrhopygius) (2) 2 Red-backed Kingfisher
posed for photographs on dead branches for some time, giving beautiful views of
the red feathers on the back.

Seen on a trip to Mt. Lyndhurst by Margie Tiller, Chris Thomas & Liz Alpers.

Reported by: Margaret Tiller on Thursday, August 4, 2011

Date: Monday, August 1, 2011

Location: Gluepot entrance road, Taylorville Station

Scarlet-chested Parrot (Neophema splendida) (4) a pair seen well, 2 other
individuals seen flying

Painted Honeyeater (Grantiella picta) (1) 1 male, see photo, also singing.

Reported by: Peter Waanders on Monday, August 1, 2011

More Information: More Information...

Date: Monday, August 1, 2011

Location: Goolwa Sewage Ponds, Kessel Road, Goolwa

Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus funereus) (300) At around 15.00
hrs a flock of approximately 150 Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo were seen flying
towards the Goolwa ponds from the south. Many of these birds settled in the
pine trees around the council depot. Others moved off further west along Kessel
Road, towards the old cemetery. Over the next half hour flocks of up to 30
birds continued to arrive, mainly from the east and north. Were we witnessing
birds assembling for a communal roost?

Lewin's Rail (Lewinia pectoralis) (1) Flushed from thick vegetation on NE
corner of 2nd main pond north of Kessel Road.

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) (2) Two birds amongst reeds on far
bank of the first main pond.

Australian Spotted Crake (Porzana fluminea) (2) Two birds in same area as
Buff-banded Rail.

Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia) (1) A single bird on 2nd main pond.

We were inspired to visit Goolwa Ponds by the report posted on Birdpedia by
Winston Syson on 27/07/2011. Alexandrina Council have brought about a
remarkable transformation. We recorded 38 species during a visit that lasted
about one-and-a-quarter hours.

Reported by: Bob Snell and Kevin Williams on Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Location: Aldinga Beach.

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (1) One bird seen resting high on the beach.
Report to me by an English visitor two days later. Photo had been taken but
deleted from the camera hoping to take a clearer shot next visit!!! He was on
the beach area south of Silver Sands.
Everyone near the beach please keep a look out just in case this birds shows up
again on our coast,,,while he makes his way back to his usual range.

Reported by: Teresa Jack on Friday, August 5, 2011

Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Location: Hope Valley Reservoir

Southern Boobook (Ninox boobook) (1) Seen in the Hope Valley Reservoir reserve
off Awoonga Rd, Hope Valley. Roosting in a pine tree and harassed by Red
Wattlebirds.

Reported by: Graham Crooks on Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Date: Saturday, August 6, 2011

Location: Whites Rd Bolivar

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) (2) 2 Buff-banded Rail seen in a
drain near the samphire behind the largest pond.

White-browed Scrubwren (Sericornis frontalis) (2) Seen in the same area as the
Rail.

Water is everywhere including in the samphire. We saw 50 species this morning.

Reported by: Elizabeth MacIlwain on Saturday, August 6, 2011

Date: Saturday, August 6, 2011

Location: Gluepot/Taylorville

Scarlet-chested Parrot (Neophema splendida) (3) A beautifully coloured pair
checking hollows after searching for around half an hour! Later a single bird
feeding flew up low onto a branch and allowed close views. Also another
fleeting glimpse of what also could have been another of these amazing little
parrots!

Painted Honeyeater (Grantiella picta) (1) A single bird located in the crown of
a Mallee by eagle-eye Mike Potter, after pulling over to photograph a Chestnut
Quail-Thrush!

Restless Flycatcher (Myiagra inquieta) (2) One seen but very flighty and
another heard.

Great day in the Mallee with Kay Parkin, Steve and Mike Potter! Also seen were
many Chestnut Quail-Thrush, Hooded Robin, Jacky Winter, Southern scrub-robin,
Shy Heathwren, Splendid Fairy-Wren and lots more of the usual species.

Reported by: Chris Steeles on Saturday, August 6, 2011

Date: Saturday, August 6, 2011

Location: Pengana Track Waterfall Gully

Striated Pardalote (Pardalotus striatus) (1) I was tempted to record this as a
Red Browed Pardalote but will err on the side of caution. Whilst observing at
close range what I thought was a Striated Pardalote I noticed it had a spotted
head. I can positively say it was not a Spotted Pardalote as in my opinion they
are unmistakeable. This bird had all the features of a Striated except the top
of it's head was clearly spotted. Maybe one of the experts can let me know if
the Red Browed variety is ever sighted this far South....

White-naped Honeyeater (Melithreptus lunatus) (2) A pair observed in dry
foliage and a nearby Manna gum - I was positioning myself closer when I
encountered the unusual Pardalote mentioned before.

Reported by: Les Woods on Saturday, August 6, 2011

Date: Sunday, August 7, 2011

Location: Willunga

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) (1)

One seen feeding in a grassed area under an olive tree in a back garden
adjacent to Willunga Courthouse Museum at 61 High Street. It was about 30
metres from the Willunga Creek which flows through the Courthouse grounds.

An injured buff-banded rail was collected on the side of the road on St Andrews
Tce at Willunga about 10 days ago - it was badly injured and was euthanised by
the local vet clinic.

Reported by: Faye Lush on Sunday, August 7, 2011

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'