birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 2 May 2011 01:30:41 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 1 May 2011.

Sun 1 May Great-billed Heron Gununa, Mornington Island
Though not unexpected, this is my first sighting in 3 years. An adult bird flew across the channel from Denham Island, landed on the beach some 25 metres away, then flew back. My isalnd list is 149 species. Additions are now infrequent though Black Bittern, White-browed Crake, Purple Swamphen and Oriental Cuckoo were added in the wet season.
Phil Venables

Thu 28 Apr Sooty Owl Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge (Morning Walk)
Adult being harassed mid-morning by other birds, flew twice before settling down to roost in same place for the rest of the day. 1st sighting of roosting bird in lodge grounds this year. Only two other sightings of bird flying over. Heard calling most weeks and very vocal in the evening.
Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge

Wed 27 Apr Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo Sheridan St, inner suburban North Cairns
50+ birds of mixed ages flew over Sheridan St at 4:30pm. Smaller numbers of about 15 birds have been recorded in the general area (Centenary Lakes to Machan's Beach) over the past month or so, but this is my first sighting of a flock this large. They are feeding on Beach Almonds. This species is a rare Autumn visitor to the Cairns area - in 15 years, I have only one other personal record from the Cairns floodplain (5 birds flying high over Freshwater on 29/06/2008). From what I hear, they haven't been seen around Cairns in any great numbers (especially 50+ individuals) for quite some years.
Martin Cachard

Tue 26 Apr White-winged Black Tern, Cotton Pygmy-goose Horseshoe Lagoon 1' Cell
Good numbers of Cotton Pygmy Geese; small flock of White-winged Black terns, some in breeding plumage. Observed around 9AM 26/4
Alexandra Canton

Shining Bronze-Cuckoo Townsville Town Common Conservation Park
At least 3 birds at freshwater carpark today and 2 at freshwater hide on the 22cnd. Photo was taken at freshwater hide on the 22cnd.
Ed Pierce

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia North Queensland and Townsville Region Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.