birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 4 Apr 2011 01:31:02 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 3 Apr 2011.

Fri 1 Apr Northern Pintail Erskine Lakes, Western Australia, Western Australia
The pintail was showing well early this morning (c. 7am) when Nigel Jackett, Nathan Waugh and I had a look. It was still on the second, smaller lake just south of the main lake, initially swimming and feeding, then resting on the shore. Also present were the long-staying Glossy Ibis and a male Chestnut Teal. Directions for Erskine Lakes: Travelling along the Mandurah Bypass away from Mandurah and cross the new traffic bridge over Peel Inlet. Take the first left turn after the traffic bridge (Sticks Boulevard) and then the first left again (Abbotswood Park Way) and follow this to the main lake edge. The smaller lake is a short walk to the south
Nigel Jackett, Nathan Waugh, John Graff

Wed 30 Mar Northern Pintail Erskine Lakes, Western Australia
Mark Newman reports that a female Northern Pintail was present today at Erskine Lakes (presumably the same bird as was seen last year). It was on the second, smaller lake in the park.
Mark Newman per John Graff

Mon 28 Mar South Island Pied Oystercatcher Airport swamp Mid-Morning, Lord Howe island, New South Wales
South Island Pied Oystercatcher. Ian Hutton had seen the bird earlier in the day. When I arrived at the swamp in the late afternoon the bird wasn't there. Within the next 5 mins the following happened. Unbelievable! I found it on the airstrip a couple of hundred metres away from the swamp. No sooner had I spotted it a plane took off and the bird took flight and landed on the road 20m from me. Almost instantly a car came past and it flew back to the swamp, then some cows scared it and it flew over Blinky Beach and wasn't seen again. The poor bird was probably looking for a rest and wasn't having much luck. I managed to get a few pics but very nearly missed it altogether.
Tim Faulkner

Sun 27 Mar Yellow White-eye Plantation Creek Boat Ramp Reserve via AYR, Queensland
Solitary Yellow White-eye observed in Mangrove and Eucalypt beside a vehicle track about 100metres NE from the Plantation Creek boat ramp reserve amenities block. First time seen at this location, although this species has been reported previously about 5 km upstream. (ID pic by Ian Boyd)
John Stewart (et al TRBOC outing) per Len & Chris Ezzy

Sun 20 Mar Streaked Shearwater 2km off Port Stephens, New South Wales
Single Streaked Shearwater seen yesterday not far from the heads off Port Stephens (see image for context) on the Port Stephens pelagic that only made it half way to the shelf due to a vicious storm cell that blocked our path. Amongst the other birds seen was a Black-browed Albatross, as well as a Pheasant Coucal on Cabbage Tree Island. Photo by Allan Richardson.
Mick Roderick and 13 other observers

Wed 16 Aug Grass Owl Western Treatment Plant, Victoria
The Grass Owl was again seen at Spit, taking flight at 6:20pm, west of the information sign. At 7:00 pm John & Sue O'Malley & Mike Tarburton saw the bird over the track that runs parallel (immediately south) to Austin Road, near the entrance gate to the Spit. A Barn Owl was also seen on the north side of Austin Road.
Tim Dolby et al, John, Sue O'Malley & Mike Tarburton

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.