birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 18 Apr 2011 01:30:18 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 17 Apr 2011.

Sun 17 Apr Great Shearwater Port Fairy Pelagic, Victoria
Seen very close around the boat at the shelf (1).
Alan Crawford

Yellow-browed, Pallas's Grasshopper and Middendorffs Warblers Ashmore Reef, Ashmore Reef
Earlier this month whilst conducting surveys at Ashmore Reef we found a Yellow-browed Warbler, Phylloscopus inornatus, (the first Australian record) and a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler, Locustella certhiola, (the second Australian record) on West Island. Other goodies at the reef included a Middendorff's Warbler and a small flock of naturally occurring Tree Sparrows. At sea in transit to and from the reef a single Abbott's Booby and three separate Jouanin's Petrels were observed.
Rohan Clarke et al

Sat 16 Apr Gould's Petrel, enormous numbers of Fairy Prion Port Fairy Pelagic, Victoria
A Gould's Petrel was seen on a Port Fairy pelagic (run by Birdswing Birding & Wildlife Tours). Also seen was an unidentified Shearwater (possibly Great 12 km from shore), as well as enormous numbers of Fairy Prion (1000+ mainly offshore between 10 km to the shelf), Buller's (1), Wandering (1), Shy (50+), Black-browed (20+), Yellow-nosed (2) Albatross, Northern Giant-Petrel (1), Sooty Shearwater, Wilson's (10), Grey-backed (30) , White-faced (20) Storm-Petrel, Brown Skua (1), White-fronted Tern (1), several flocks of Australian Shelduck, and two dead Albatross on the water. [Note above: Great Shearwater was seen the today (17 April 2011) on Port Fairy pelagic (run by Birdswing Birding & Wildlife Tours].
Port Fairy Pelagic (Neil Macumber et al) per Tim Dolby

Fri 15 Apr Inland Dotterel Rupanyup area, Victoria
2 Inland Dotterels on fallow paddock being prepared for sowing. Allowed very close approach with tractor and seeder and later with ute.
Ian Morgan

Wed 13 Apr 'black headed' Gull Western Treatment Plant, Victoria
Whilst at the Western treatment Plant today with two friends we had a brief glimpse of what appeared to be a gull with a black head fly over our car as we were going north from the Beach Rd entrance towards the bird hide - the gull was heading south towards Kirk Pt. By the time we managed to turn the car around (the track was wet and slippery and we did not have a 4WD) the bird had disappeared. As I say - a very brief glimpse from a car but we are pretty certain it was a gull of some sort with a dark head, so hopefully visitors in the next few days might be able to track it down
Dave Torr per Tim Dolby

Thu 7 Apr Spinifex Pigeon Granite Gorge Nature Park (12 km W of Mareeba) , Queensland
7th April 2011 My wife and I went to Granite Gorge Nature Park particularly to see the Mareeba Rock Wallabies. While we were looking at a couple of Squatter Pigeons in the camping ground, we then noticed two Spinifex Pigeons milling around. We followed them around the grounds for about 10 minutes and then watched them disappear into the scrub. The vegetation at Granite Gorge includes exposed Granite boulders and dry scrub with some ground cover. But, the area surrounding Granite Gorge seems to be mainly farmland. The sighting was on Thursday 7th April 2011 at about 12:30pm
Maarten and Robyn Hulzrbosch (Per Len & Chris Ezzy, Birdline NQ)

Sat 2 Apr Brown Booby Hippolyte Rocks, Tasman Pen., Tasmania
(1) Brown Booby was observed and photographed by Jennifer Kakoschke and others.
Jennifer Kakoschke and others (per Birding-Aus post by Michael Todd)

Fri 1 Apr Wandering Tattler and two Grey-tailed Kingston Pier, Norfolk Is. 2899, New South Wales
We observed a Wandering Tattler in good breeding plumage feeding at the Pier down Kingston. 15min later we were watching two Grey-tailed Tattlers 1/2 km away chasing each other around at Emily Bay.
John and Sue O'Malley

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.