birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 00:05:03 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, January 17, 2011 to Sunday, January 23, 2011:

Area: SA

Date: Monday, January 17, 2011

Location: Lake George

Little Tern (Sterna albifrons) (1) One amongst 20+ Fairy Tern. Black line
through to bill. Photo'd.

Reported by: Jim Allen on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Date: Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Location: Lower North (Salter Springs/Hamley/Owen)

Black Falcon (Falco subniger) (4) First Falcon seen scattering a small flock of
Feral Pigeons just north of Hamley Bridge on the main road heading towards
Owen, same area as I photographed one last year. Next was observed for around
an hour hunting off a perch diving on Stubble Quails being flushed by the
Header I was in. Other two were observed by Michael Warnes on his farm near
Owen, with one sitting on the ground in a paddock and the other on the wing, he
saw these two on his way up to drive his header.

White-fronted Chat (Epthianura albifrons) (50) Flock of around fifty sitting on
fencelines at Salter Springs not far from where we were watching the Falcon.

Also saw two Brown Falcons on way home and quite a few Kestrals, so Falcons
have been active lately up here in the lower north! adding to this, I also had
3 Peregrines having a dog fight, making a great racket low above my winery in
the Barossa on Monday the 17th. Not sure if it was a family dispute? or a
intruder in the local pairs territory!

Reported by: Chris Steeles on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Date: Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Location: McFayden's Point, Salt Creek and Meningie West, Lake Albert

Australian Shelduck (Tadorna tadornoides) (20000) Early morning scoping from
McFayden's Point, Salt Creek. Most of the birds were in the centre of the
waterway and on the far western shore against the sandhill. It was a bit hard
to be exactly sure that they were all Shelducks but there appeared to be about
20,000 of them. Another 5,000 seen from on Lake Albert from the Narung Rd at
Meningie West. Bool Lagoon had about 300 in a flooded paddock alongside the
lagoons.

There seems to be huge numbers of Shelduck around this year. The Coorong is
full so very few waders as there appears to be very little exposed sand for
them to feed on. A few Greenshanks, Red-necked Avocets and juvenile Banded
Stilt was all. Lots of Silver Gull.

My blog has some photos I took at Bool Lagoon of three Australasian Bitterns
airborne at one time. It can be found on

http://topbirdsandeveryfing.typepad.com/top-birds-everyfing/

or type "top birds into google.

Regards

Chris

Reported by: Chris Shaw on Thursday, January 20, 2011

More Information: More Information...

Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Location: Greenfields Wetland, Dry Creek

Australasian Bittern (Botaurus poiciloptilus) (1) Single, very large bird seen
briefly as it flew up from reed at southern end, just off Magazine Road.

Baillon's Crake (Porzana pusilla) (2) Both birds seen putting in a brief
appearance in reed immediately west of birdhide.

Also in area are immature and juvenile night herons.

Water levels still a little high. However, did not see a single grebe in pond
near birdhide?

Reported by: Michael Wood on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Date: Friday, January 21, 2011

Location: Laratinga Wetlands

Blue-billed Duck (Oxyura australis) (7) Blue Bill- female with 6 ducklings.
Male seems to have departed. Have photograph, but very distant.  They have been
around for a while now, and ducklings are getting a good size. They spend much
of their time near one of the islands.

Spotless Crake (Porzana tabuensis) (5) Spotless Crake - pair with three chicks.
Was able to get poor photo using flash of one individual; which caused them to
disperse.

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) (1) Buff Banded Rail - same place
as the Spotless Crake family, about half an hour later.  Bird was extremely
nervous and the surrounding reeds show numerous signs of heavy disturbance.

Water levels in the ponds have been very variable.  In the previous week, it
had dropped so low in some ponds that dogs could have accessed one of the
islands without much difficulty.  This week the levels are high again but there
isn't much "shore line" for the birds to work.

Reported by: Les Peters on Saturday, January 22, 2011

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'