birding-aus

RE: RE: [Birding-Aus] Re:Cocos & Christmas Island Rarities

To: "'Julian B'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: RE: RE: [Birding-Aus] Re:Cocos & Christmas Island Rarities
From: "Tony Russel" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 09:26:13 +1030
Greetings Julian.

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From:
 On Behalf Of Julian B
Sent: Tuesday, 11 January 2011 8:53 AM
To: 'Birding Aus'
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] RE: [Birding-Aus] Re:Cocos & Christmas Island
Rarities

Greetings all

Have I missed something in the current thread?

It seems to me the thread started as a debate on whether or not birds from
various outlying areas [e.g. Cocos Is., Antarctica, etc.] should be included
on an Australian list but appears to have diverged into whether or not we
should maintain an interest in the welfare of the birds on these outlying
island/regions [see David Richardson's recent email].

>From where did the divergence emerge?

The argument was surely one of "counting" offshore territorial birds and not
one of maintaining an interest in their welfare.

Why can't it be okay to NOT COUNT birds from far flung corners on an
Australian list BUT continue to maintain a serious interest in their
welfare; in promoting tourism to these places.  Surely all that is needed is
to count those birds on separate lists.

In the end, my old sparring marra, Tony Russell, has hit the nail on the
head.  As with so many other contentious issues of this nature, be it the
feeding of wild birds, the ownership of a pet cat, etc., all the to-ing and
fro-ing does little to resolve these issues.  Those that do, will continue
to do so and those that don't will continue not to do so.

As I've said before, ours is not an exact pastime; there is no mandatory
regulating body.  Each to their own conscience.

Cheers

Julian