birding-aus

Ashmore Reef information

To: Simon Mustoe <>
Subject: Ashmore Reef information
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:56:30 +1100
Simon,

Birders are "banned" from entering all private property, unless invited or otherwise, by the owners. This whole situation has stemmed from birders entering private property without invitation. Lets be honest, those birders perpetrated a crime, trespass on private lands. It is no different than if a bunch of strangers set up camp in ones back yard. Bigger back yard, same principle. I know what I would do if I found some-one camped in my back yard.

I think the traditional owners have behaved in a restrained manner and hopefully over time a protocol can be worked out for speedier processing of permits for entering Aboriginal lands. Unfortunately, we, as birders, now have a bit of lost ground to regain in the process.

Carl Clifford